Ducks 4 in '24

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Had to send some documents to a vendor, so I am on my computer today for a few minutes.
I need to load up and take out weeds, etc., the piles waiting, and they need to be dumped at the burn pile in the north pasture.
Old mare is LIVING in the Inner Sanctum, so no more burning there this SEASON.
I also need to fill up the tow wagon and clean her stall. She is hanging out there when it's hot.
She is now walking faster than me.
Farrier to see her soon, and I will have him check to see if she foundered, or just laminitis.
Still bute 2x/day. Vet warned me NOT to double dose. I Can however feed that "natural bute-less" product, if I want to, now health problems, and will flush through her.
BOTH can be used and ok if she goes does and we have to shoot her.
YES, horse owners spare their animals Great pain and fear. If a horse goes down and cannot rise, their lungs fill with fluid and they slowly and painfully die. Again, Vet (former cop) has volunteered to do the deed for me, and I am EXTEMEMELY grateful!!
It really is only a matter of time, now. DD's think she will last until the Fall.
Gardening...3 cucumbers sprouted. I hope to start about 9 more in the 1/2 gallon milk cartons that I saved, so that I can weed THAT bed and put in PREEN. I only have the 3 months stuff.
I will look for the 6 month stuff on clearance this Fall. It doesn't go bad.
ALL tomatoes still look great, even the ones that will be planted next week. Cherries have fruit on them. I Think I have one more cherry tomato plant, but that's not bad.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Storms rolled through last night. Phone sent an alert, but they weren't as bad as predicted.
STILL, I moved the grill next to the west side of the house so it wouldn't blow over, like it did last year in a bad storm, put away the plastic Adirondack gardening chair in the garage, and moved all tomato holding pots and the blueberry holding pot to the south side of the house, next to the stairs and the yews, where the wind would be blocked.
VERY wet summer, but no real flooding.
DD's lost their power last night. THEIR town set off their tornado siren, so they called us from their basement.
We were laughing--roofers JUST finished last Saturday, with the roof and last touch was a window set it in correctly in their attic. Looks beautiful with copper flashing. It's only asphalt shingles, but all of the asbestos is GONE!!!! :weee
Their house is 100yo and I think that this is the 2nd or 3rd roof in it's time.
The roofers Really had to travel...1 1/2 blocks from their office to DD's house. :gig

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got the asparagus all tied up, some was taller than me!
Got the cucumber bed totally weeded. 3/30 survived, probably a replant this weekend.
Mare is still alive. Bandaging has helped her heal.
I.DON'T.KNOW!!! how she is surviving this heat, EVEN in a stall, and, on bad days with my industrial strength fan on her.
Please pray!!! 🙏🙏🙏

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hack at my Bartlett pear yesterday. It had severe fire blight, I decided to cut away most of the small limbs with dead leaves, left several bc they had fruit on them, but I thought better to kill it bc I am pruning in July, than wait until next year and watch it die.
As soon as I harvest all of the fruit, which isn't much this year, I will completely remove anything dead. I also took down a limb from the peach tree next door.

Attachments

• Pruning Bartlett Pear, 07-19-24, #1.jpg
    Pruning Bartlett Pear, 07-19-24, #1.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Pruning Bartlett Pear, 07-19-24, #2.jpg
    Pruning Bartlett Pear, 07-19-24, #2.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Pruning Bartlett Pear, 07-19-24, #3.jpg
    Pruning Bartlett Pear, 07-19-24, #3.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Pruning Bartlett Pear, 07-19-24, #4.jpg
    Pruning Bartlett Pear, 07-19-24, #4.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 29

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Asparagus are now tied up. Pretty heavy things, too! Here is the cucumber bed with the 3 that sprouted. Replanting later this next week. Since I have grown them in August, I will just need to keep them watered. I have several that I bought from SeedsNow and 8 packages of Munchers bought at Dollar General, older seeds but I am betting some will sprout for me.

Attachments

• Asparagus, tied up, 07-19-24.jpg
    Asparagus, tied up, 07-19-24.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 22
  • Cucumber and asparagus bed, weeded, 07-19-24.jpg
    Cucumber and asparagus bed, weeded, 07-19-24.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Cucumber survivors, 07-19-24.jpg
    Cucumber survivors, 07-19-24.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 22

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am steadily getting my strength back. I put in 3 1/2 hrs yesterday. I picked up all of the pear tree trimmings, cut down burdock on the east side of the east fence of the south pasture, and transported all to the north pasture burn pile, where some was burned.
This morning I finished weeding the wild violet out of my asparagus bed. I had to dig out the roots and eliminate them and I plan to sprinkle Preen around the asparagus, but the bed is now ready for the 4th row of tomato fencing.
I also put in 20 minutes on the west north bed by the garage where I plan to transplant 3 cherry tomatoes that I accidentally bought, now in pots and waiting, with fruit. There should be enough afternoon sun for them.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ducks4you after reading your post you have a lot to manage. Pastures too. Sounds like you maintain a large area. How do you manage the pasture and the gardens. It’s a daily occurrence to review the entire area.
It takes a lot of energy to keep up . I get it. The plants are in a growing streak and take no rests or prisoners. Something we have in common.

Just hoping the many wildfires in Oregon can be contained soon. Nothing near me…but 9 western states are burning. You would think by now the government would bury all those elec lines and replant fire resistant trees and shrubs instead of just watching 800,000 acres burn just in Oregon in the last few weeks. The firefighters are the hero’s in this country and I am so grateful for them. Bless them for all their efforts.

Your sweet mare is in my prayers. I hope she makes it. It’s not easy to deal with the loss of a beloved horse.

Last edited:

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Old mare is LIVING in the Inner Sanctum, so no more burning there this SEASON.
I also need to fill up the tow wagon and clean her stall. She is hanging out there when it's hot.
She is now walking faster than me.
Farrier to see her soon, and I will have him check to see if she foundered, or just laminitis.
Still bute 2x/day. Vet warned me NOT to double dose. I Can however feed that "natural bute-less" product, if I want to, now health problems, and will flush through her.
BOTH can be used and ok if she goes does and we have to shoot her.
YES, horse owners spare their animals Great pain and fear. If a horse goes down and cannot rise, their lungs fill with fluid and they slowly and painfully die. Again, Vet (former cop) has volunteered to do the deed for me, and I am EXTEMEMELY grateful!!

The old farrier's adage, "No Foot, No Horse" is so true. We helped my old mare back up many times when she either fell or laid down and couldn't get back up, until finally the time when she was unable to ever rise again. Vets had speculated a stroke or brain tumor had adversely affected her balance. I wish the best for your old girl. I miss our horses. A part of me was lost when the last of the herd, the youngest and longest lived little Shetland pony died at age 36 a decade ago. I'll never be completely whole again without them, but time has marched on.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The old farrier's adage, "No Foot, No Horse" is so true. We helped my old mare back up many times when she either fell or laid down and couldn't get back up, until finally the time when she was unable to ever rise again. Vets had speculated a stroke or brain tumor had adversely affected her balance. I wish the best for your old girl. I miss our horses. A part of me was lost when the last of the herd, the youngest and longest lived little Shetland pony died at age 36 a decade ago. I'll never be completely whole again without them, but time has marched on.

Your post is painfully true. Some of my horses had fallen lame . Another had cancer. Another cushings disease. As they age they can get the darnedest things. As hard as it is calling the vet to put them down is hard . At the same time I feel better that they no longer will suffer.
They teach us so much . These horses had been a big part of my life . I miss them so much.

Latest posts