Ducks 4 in '24

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Try doubling the pectin next time you want a good gel bc you never KNOW how old the pectin IS.
Mine are mostly 6-8 inches apart, but the Munchers got planted close bc the other seeds didn't germinate, probably bc I let them dry out during a short drought after I planted them.
The Munchers are about 4 inches apart.
In 2022 and 2023 I really crowded my cucumbers, and they produced, but it's ALWAYS good to reassess growing practices. :hugs
I think it was a pectin problem, the jelly never set properly! I do think I'm going to try again next month, once a frost hits the berries we'll pick. We can only get this Certo pectin product which is a liquid & you squeeze it out of a plastic sqooshee. I feel like there is a better alternative out there, but can't find it. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think it was a pectin problem, the jelly never set properly! I do think I'm going to try again next month, once a frost hits the berries we'll pick. We can only get this Certo pectin product which is a liquid & you squeeze it out of a plastic sqooshee. I feel like there is a better alternative out there, but can't find it. 🤷‍♀️
I'm looking forward to you finding out a better solution for pectin. I love jam and would really like to have home made..

Edited

I have just found this and about to read it so adding it here for you to

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Finnie and @baymule
VERY interesting to know that both knees could be operated on at the same time.
I don't think I could function with recovery for both at the same time.
I will receive at home visiting bandage and therapy for 2 weeks right after the surgery.
DD's are scheduled to take care of my critters for those 2 weeks.
Middle DD is planning on coming to generally help for a week in January.
Since She works from home this is possible.
My left knee has been my support and there are still many things I can do with it.
We have an Alaskan cruise next May and I should be able to walk pretty well, even With a damaged left knee.
The right knee suffered great trauma, so I limp. Orthopedics gave (really sold) me a removable brace, one to push my bones back into straight bc I have bowlegged my right leg to compensate, AND I continue to do the exercises that Physical Therapy taught me, so that my recovery will be more rapid than to let the muscles go.
I have a friend who got both knee surgeries same year, but they were 4 months apart.
I am thinking that my two surgeries will be about one year apart.
I have had SO MANY PEOPLE who notice my limp and tell me about Their own knee replacements and how happy they are! Several of them have asked to pray 🙏 for me!
I have the new brace AND I have an ace bandage brace.
So, I am set for living with the deteriorating left knee for awhile.
Also, I have come to learn that there are MANY exercises that you can for your legs from a chair or your bed.
You only need to focus and willpower.
Please try caster oil. It's best soaked into a good cloth, say a towel or even an old tee shirt. Then wrap this around your knee. It takes a while to kick in. But it's been claimed to be an anti-inflammatory and a healer.

I'm not saying it a complete cure. But it's possible that it can ease pain somewhat the trouble is it takes months to actually work

1000002875.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

alas, that stuff is expensive and for what it is... :(

i used the low sugar powdered variant this year for the strawberry freezer jam and i thiink it turned out pretty well. it may have helped that i read and followed the directions... (bashful)...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to you finding out a better solution for pectin. I love jam and would really like to have home made..

Edited

I have just found this and about to read it so adding it here for you to

green grapes (before they are fully ripe) or green apples are both good sources of pectin.

when i was growing grapes and making Concord grape jam the recipe said to pick some of the grapes before they were fully ripe and i never had to add any extra pectin for those and they set up very firm. it was also so tart that it had little chunks of tartaric acid in the jars at times. i like tart so it didn't bother me...