Ducks 4 in '24

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
They are supposed to change my bandages, and generally check on me.
I Will ask about the robotics. I am pretty sure that they do bc they are associated with a medical teaching school at the University of Illinois.
I will ask on Thursday when I get my physical for the surgery at Orthopedics. :hugs

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ducks4you In my experience it’s fairly normal after hip replacement to have one leg longer than the other since naturally legs are not the same length to begin with. Leg length has nothing to do with automated - robot surgery or if an experienced surgeon does the surgery. There are some good articles online weighing the benefits and risks of robot vs surgeons.

Joint replacement has been introduced in the medical field since the 1960’s. Hasn’t changed much other than new materials that last longer and the newer automated process. Best to have it done at a large university hospital.

Hip or knee replacement generally fills in all the gaps that the old crushed diseased bones worn away from osteoarthritis / injury which is the actual cause of the pain , causing unnecessary discomfort and uneven distribution of body weight that has a negative effect on the entire body. Tissue or bone worn away or both and also could include a tiny hairline fracture .

The surgeon can evaluate the needs of the individual patient for optimal results. The best experienced surgeon is important . Rehab for both hip and knee replacement takes 6 months to a year to fully recover depending on the damage prior joint replacement and the physical condition of the patient at the time of surgery.

I share this info with you thru my own experiences with joint replacement - one knee and both hips . It’s the best thing I ever did. I had an experienced surgeon who had done many replacements yearly and experienced surgery team. Very important it takes a team for joint surgeries and another for rehab.

I do every thing that I did before surgery, gardening , riding horses, dog training and much more. Sending good vibes your way.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks SO MUCH!!:hugs
When I did physical therapy this Spring I had already changed the length of both legs, mostly through compensation. I asked for the same therapist, and now have scheduled PT post operation. He is aware of my case, has access to all of my files (bc it is the same hospital/clinic), and i believe that he will able to to recommend the correct treatments.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, getting ready for my party and DD's demanded that I bake up a batch of frozen burgers for tonight.
Had to can tomatoes, too, today, but I can run the canner tonight. I am just about to start the burgers, hence why I am online. DD's are coming over Saturday to help clean the house ALL DAY, so it's a trade off. Still, I campaigned for wine since the request came this morning...
Today is a good knee day, so there Will be some outside work done today. Tomorrow I get a physical and blood work for my surgery in the morning, so in town all day. I need to help DH with some stuff at the office, but yardwork won't happen.
I treated myself to a huge tomato with my lunch. Family eats many more of them than ME during harvest season.
I have learned that IF you plant tomatoes late, plant a LOT of them. I am growing 30 beefsteak, 1 Rutgers, 1 orange (dunno what?), and 3 cherries.
I will take some pictures this PM and on Friday I plan to prune them back so that each plant will put the next 3 weeks into developing fruit already on the vines and not into putting out more flowers.
Sorry, bees! Check on my blue salvia and rose of sharon!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Middle DD is weakening. I have been telling her to buy a big freezer and I think that she and SIL are considering giving up some eating out and playdates to do so. I think that Longshoreman's strike and the prospect of 2021 shortages and everything more expensive has swayed them.
I suggested that they both spend more for an upright ~15cu ft freezer AND have it delivered to their basement, where nobody can sneak in and steal the meat, like might happen in their garage.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally, I put away the "Waterless Amaryllis", the correct way, knocking off all of the soil, placing the pot on it's side in the basement, dry, dark and cool, and counting 10 weeks to start over again. Still "wick" as they say...
If you remember this was a Christmas present, glued to a board with it's roots cut off, which flowered and grew very nice leaves After I put it in a container with water so that it would regrow it's roots.
Most of today's roots are 5-7 inches long. I was disappointed that it hadn't grown any pups, but I bet it will next time.
Looks like a nice, red Valentine's Day Amaryllis, 2025.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am learning how to grow cucumbers. In the past few years I grew them along a fence in a very fertile bed and had no problems, maybe I planted too close I guess. This year am experiencing yellowing leaves and I suspect it is the fertility of the soil in this new spot.
Don't really care for THIS crop, bc it was a throw away planting, ANYWAY, but I'd like to do better next year, so I will fertilize this bed over the winter, since I am doing the dirty and NOT rotating cucumber or tomato growing sites in 2025, so as to save my knees, 2025 will be my Left knee, and that's MORE important than crop rotation.
Still, Always something to learn...
Like, you Never Know when you come across a good seed deal! Usually, when I buy seeds at Dollar General or a cheapo store I expect low viability.
THIS year, I bought Muncher Cucumber seeds, 2/$1 at Dollar General and every one of them sprouted.
I had cleaned out the Dollar General in P. (nearly town), and I thought about buying more at the Dollar General in V.G., but I left the store.
When I went back last week, they had 5 packages and I discovered that they were Now 4/$1.
I am giving 2 of the package to middle DD, so, effectively a 50 cent Christmas present.
I'd give her more but she won't be able to use them.

Last edited:

Latest posts