Funny story from my "Chicken Sitter" neighbor.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Last week whille we were in CA. My neighbor fed and watered the chickens, and even got a couple of eggs!
Yesterday I got a phone call from her saying she wanted to give me one of the eggs back. "It won't crack! We dropped it on the floor and it still won't crack!" I was puzzled so we met over the back fence so she could give me this strange "uncrackable" egg.

When she handed it to me I "cracked up"...

It was one of the wooden eggs I had in the nest box to help show the new chickens were I wanted them to lay theiir eggs.

I still laugh when I think of them trying to open that egg!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reminds me of the first time I sent my little nephews out to collect eggs. The look on their faces was precious, when they handed me the golf ball! They were pretty sure, that wasn't where golf balls came from, but...

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That' s pretty funny! :lol: It must of really looked like a real egg. At least that egg will help prevent the chickens from pecking at their real eggs.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The funniest thing I remember from my chickens was seeing one who was bound and determined she was going to hatch a porcelain door knob.
Did you ever grow egg gourds? Painted white they make good nest eggs. If you have a chicken snake stealing eggs an egg gourd will kill it. It smells like an egg from chickens sitting on it so they will swallow it but can't digest it or eliminate it.

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
A wooden egg fooled my DH too. He wouldn't believe me that it was real. I banged it on the wall, then he believed me. :lol:

flgardengirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hoodat said:
The funniest thing I remember from my chickens was seeing one who was bound and determined she was going to hatch a porcelain door knob.
Did you ever grow egg gourds? Painted white they make good nest eggs. If you have a chicken snake stealing eggs an egg gourd will kill it. It smells like an egg from chickens sitting on it so they will swallow it but can't digest it or eliminate it.
Oh I wish I knew about the egg gourds last summer. We had a humongous black snake eating eggs from one of the temporary nest boxes that we made from a milk crate. The only way we caught the snake was because he tried to get out of the milk crate through one of the holes and got stuck lol. He was so full of eggs he couldn't squeeze through the holes. We relocated him to a huge Live Oak that had a hollow in it for him to hide in...so far he never returned to the chicken coop. We grew egg gourds once, they were pretty prolific.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
flgardengirl said:
hoodat said:
Oh I wish I knew about the egg gourds last summer. We had a humongous black snake eating eggs from one of the temporary nest boxes that we made from a milk crate. The only way we caught the snake was because he tried to get out of the milk crate through one of the holes and got stuck lol. He was so full of eggs he couldn't squeeze through the holes. We relocated him to a huge Live Oak that had a hollow in it for him to hide in...so far he never returned to the chicken coop. We grew egg gourds once, they were pretty prolific.
I've never even heard of Chicken Egg Gourds!! Where do you find such seeds?

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I some times would put moth balls in the chicken litter(pine shavings) to help deter the parasites....one day I heard one of the bantam hens in that pen clucking and all settled in the corner nest with ALL of the moth balls she could find under her.... I believe she was trying to hatch out moth babies.....she had no lice after that either.....:D one of my Pyncheon bantams
7566_pyncheon_pullet.jpg

Latest posts