Gardenias

gardeniasandhens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. And I wanna know some stuff about gardenias. They are my favorite flower. :woot

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will tell you what I know about gardenias. They smell like heaven and I can't grow them in zone 4! Are you in the south? They are such a lovely, delicate flower. I wish I could grow them here...Welcome to TEG!!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Definitely a southern thing! I've been planning some near the chickens coops... extremely fragrant....

Popular in southern cemeteries! :rolleyes:

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had a few and the ones that got sun always looked bad. but the ones that were more shaded looked great. Always fragrant (almost as good as a sweet olive). They have mineral deficiency problems so you will have to give them some care but other than that they should work well for you in Georgia.

gardeniasandhens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I had a few and the ones that got sun always looked bad. but the ones that were more shaded looked great. Always fragrant (almost as good as a sweet olive). They have mineral deficiency problems so you will have to give them some care but other than that they should work well for you in Georgia.
Woo!

Shiloh Acres

Leafing Out
Reaction score
If I remember right, there is a variety with smaller leaves, kinda variegated, that grows well in sun. It flowered well for me, and the smell was almost as sweet.

My last house in Florida had a couple of large gardenia bushes out front. That first spring, I kept the windows open and let a cool breeze blow through the house. It smelled like heaven on earth through the whole house.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've always wanted to get some Gardenias. Their suppose to have a really nice scent with their flowers. I'm sure their worth having just for their fragrance alone, i think their leaves have a glossy look to them.

flgardengirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Gardenias like acidic soil that is very well drained and high in organic matter. You can grow them in pots and overwinter in a greenhouse if you live up north. I give mine a little miracid (or the miracle grow for azaleas) about once a month during the growing season. They also can get iron deficiency also known as chlorosis. You will know this when the leaves turn yellowish but the veins of the leaves remain green. I give a little ironite once in a while to correct that problem. They like full sun but will tolerate some light afternoon shade in hot climates. If planting them in the ground they like a thick layer of mulch to keep thier roots cool especially in a hot climate.

If you were to plant gardenias in a pot I would use Miracle grow for roses (it is more acidic), with lots of compost and perlite mixed in. I would also put in a little bark like from orchid mix in there to make sure it is very well drained. Make sure your container has several drainage holes in the bottom. Use a drill and put more in if necessary. Do not use those saucer things under them. They can cause root rot. They like water but not to sit in it constantly. I would just water when the top of the soil is dry to about an inch down. Gardenia care is really alot like the other plants from China/Asia like Camelias, azaleas, banana shrubs (Michelia) type plants.
I think most people tend to over baby them and unintentionally water too much and that is what kills them.

Main disease that I encounter here is sooty mold caused by white flies, this can be controlled with NEEM and by wiping off the mold with soap and water. Aphids can cause bud drop they can also be controlled with NEEM.

Reaction score
Most every thing has been covered but I would add that a serious pest is the White Fly and it is very persistent after an infestation. Yellow leaves is often a sign of lack of iron, uncommon in acidic soil but it does occur. They are beautiful and smell like heaven but have some real issues to consider.

Latest posts