Goin' to the Dogs!

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don’t adopt for my needs. For a pet, yes, but for working dogs, no. Even the Livestock Guardian rescue sites are insanely stupid, wanting them to be house dogs. Not even a barn is good enough for some of those sites. Contracts, promise not to treat them like what they have been bred for for thousands of years, no thank you. I want a dog from working stock with known parentage.
As I said a million years ago, we won't always agree and yes, I am soft but I honestly get where you are coming from!.

I believe in adoption, totally but that's just me. For both animals and children.

Dogs didn't chose too be how we have made them in this messed up world, so these dogs i speak of, when they have been abandoned I would always try to make them secure.
It's not their fault . It's how they have been bred and trained to be. Human error or not.

Your life is totally different and you survive your way, so I would not want to change that for you and I most certainly would adapt and except your way should I ever have landed in your position.

I would love to have been in a working dogs life again, I loved the sheep dogs I once knew. But sadly that's not my life now. I live in a totally different world to yours.

Come on let's howl. 😀

Good night

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not a bad article, appropriate for our recent look at N American indigenous canines.

"Dogs in the Middle Ages," you can click HERE for the story.

morgan collection.jpg

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I’m all for adoption for pets. But for my needs I require a proven gene pool that is most likely to be what I expect. I am also a breed conservationist and don’t believe in just breeding any two dogs to one another because Fluffy is cute. Backyard breeders are filling the rescues. I don’t know how to stop them from breeding random dogs but I wish there was some way to only have responsible breeders with contracts, like Fen and Boone’s.
That'sallIhavetosayaboutthat.

Here’s a little picture of bliss for you 😊
IMG_6988.jpeg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I’m all for adoption for pets. But for my needs I require a proven gene pool that is most likely to be what I expect. I am also a breed conservationist and don’t believe in just breeding any two dogs to one another because Fluffy is cute. Backyard breeders are filling the rescues. I don’t know how to stop them from breeding random dogs but I wish there was some way to only have responsible breeders with contracts, like Fen and Boone’s.

View attachment 63561
Sorry petey. There's few more things I would like to add on this subject.

Firstly, It's a shame for these critters that are abandoned, my dearest wish is for them to be fixed, so they don't have anymore pups and to be homed and cared for so they can live their lives out.

Plus, the best dog I ever had was a mixture of breeds, he was intelligent and really observant. We once landed on this guys sheep farm. He kindly let me and my dog stay there for a break. Because I really missed the farm I spent years hanging around on as a child and in my youth.

My dog was only allowed in his hallway. If he'd have insisted on him being outside then I would have been outside too. That dog protected me through many situations and I wasn't staying anywhere without him.

This guy didn't particularly like dogs. My little guy followed him out on his farm as he was sorting out his sheep on the following morning. He was about to holler at me too get my dog back but was completely thrown when my old boy started too assist him.
Both he and I couldn't believe how this dog knew what to do, because this was a town dog.
But as this man found that he was in this situation, he started instructing him and my dog did exactly as he was told. He took me out to prove it. Between them those sheep moved into the next field in no time

From then on in , Dave wanted my dog, he said he was a real asset. He even brought him into his living room that night and let him sleep on his rug. I just wanted to go home after that because I was afraid he'd try to keep my faithful old boy.

I was told that the dog had a bit of sheep dog in him, because of his tail but how on earth an animal of around three that's never been trained could adapt like that was as much a mystery to me as it was too David.
I had him when he was a pup through bartering with a homeless guy. I just fell in love with the creature and we were inseparable.

I'm just saying a mixture of a breed IMHO can be better .

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

View attachment 63561
Poor goat.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I think that we are ALL in agreement. No more unplanned puppies or kittens.
Also, there is a New problem...shelters who give you the 3rd degree when you come to "adopt."
There is NO GUARANTEE that a new pet owner will keep their pet!
There is a guarantee that the pet will still be sitting in a shelter cage next year when you won't let people take them home!
So, a Catch22, so to speak. DD spent about 90 minutes of her time--we all played along--on Thanksgiving on a website that rescues kittens, They wanted to know her employer, her animal ownership (understandable), and about 100 other unnecessary questions, then got back to her WEEKS later to say that they were not letting any kittens go right now.
No encouragement. No personal phone call/text. Screw that!!!!
This little guy, "Digby" came from my neighbor, whose cat had a litter on December 3rd. They still have a super sweet female kitten available. ALL were picked up and handled by the family. Digby's favorite place is to nap on DD, which is exactly what she wanted.

Attachments

• Digby, 01-26-24.jpg
    Digby, 01-26-24.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Digby, on Liz lap, 01-26-24.jpg
    Digby, on Liz lap, 01-26-24.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 39

Latest posts