Hello from Oregon

honesteaDAD

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a single dad trying to gain the knowledge to be self sufficient. Both my mother and my father did some canning each year but unfortunately I wasn't too interested then and didn't learn much. They have both since passed. I'm looking to keep this age old tradition alive. My goal is to be able to produce and preserve all the vegetables my family and I will eat throughout the winter.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome from the "east coast Oregon" aka Vermont! My own canning has been limited to pickles and jam, but we used to freeze and store a winter's worth of vegetables from our garden. Now I just raise a few things, tomatoes and crookneck summer squash this year. Good luck with your foray into canning.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a single dad trying to gain the knowledge to be self sufficient. Both my mother and my father did some canning each year but unfortunately I wasn't too interested then and didn't learn much. They have both since passed. I'm looking to keep this age old tradition alive. My goal is to be able to produce and preserve all the vegetables my family and I will eat throughout the winter.

hello and welcome to TEG. :) (also there is the sister site which may have a lot more on canning on there for you to read through, plus we're always happy to answer questions. :)

)

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from the Pacific Northwest!

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Dahlia looking forward to see your garden pics. Can’t wait for info to see your pics . I’m in oregon .
We are experiencing the worst wildfire season on record. More than 800,000 acres burned from fires started by lightening. This is very upsetting and stressful. The season is hot and dry a bad combo. I was hoping that more prevention and protection would be in place by now.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to The Easy Garden :frow.

I grew up in the Rogue River Valley, @honesteaDAD & @Shades-of-Oregon . Where abouts are the two of you?

What I remember about smoke during childhood had to do with the Spring smudge pot season. The orchards had crews out burning waste oil to protect fruit trees from frost damage. Dense, black smoke would fill that valley and its thousands of acres of fruit orchards. What a mess! The residents must have experienced a great relief when sprinkler systems and fans replaced those smudge pots.

Steve

Latest posts