Hello from Oregon

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanx for the welcome mat …
@digitS' nice to hear from you. You are not far from my garden..hehe. I say that instead of home because my garden is 30 years in the making. A mature garden now. Been downsizing the last ten years. Not making much progress.

I am located up in the northwest corner of Oregon. I am a hop and a skip from you . Or should I say as the crow flies.

I had no idea waste oil was burned to protect the fruit trees…Yikes. The smoke Air quality has come a long way since then. Except since wildfire season . It ant times can be unbelievably smoky.
Over 800,000 acres has burned in Oregon since last 2 week’s lightening stared 12 new wildfires added to several already in progress.

I live next to a forest lots of wildlife near by. Never a dull moment. The weather has cooled in the western side a bit of rain just like it used to be before climate change.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Rhodie Ranch I totally get it especially in Medford. Smoke and wildfires are increasing yearly. I am wondering the same thing since I live next to a forest up in the nw corner of Oregon.
Are you happier where you are now. Did you adjust to a new growing zone… or is it similar, must have brought some plants with you ?
I have lots of huge rhody’s love them for a minute . They are remarkably hardy. Trimming …they drow so fast.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:welcome to both of you from Central IL. TALL ORDER preserving ALL of your food. Hot water bath canning is easiest but limiting. Some foods simply DON'T do well canning, like Brussels Sprouts, and ALL foods can be pressure canned. Fruits will deteriorate after a couple of years in jars.
ALL vegetables can be dehydrated. Sweet peppers last about a year, BUT, dehydrated hot peppers are vibrant when pulverized, even after a long period of time.
Freezing works for everything, but that costs $.
Please put your location with your avatar bc I will forget where you live once you start posting.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Rhodie Ranch I totally get it especially in Medford. Smoke and wildfires are increasing yearly. I am wondering the same thing since I live next to a forest up in the nw corner of Oregon.
Are you happier where you are now. Did you adjust to a new growing zone… or is it similar, must have brought some plants with you ?
I have lots of huge rhody’s love them for a minute . They are remarkably hardy. Trimming …they drow so fast.
I love rhodies too! We have so many that grow wild in the Pacific Northwest, especially the pink ones!

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Alrighty then rhody’s are now officially the best in the PNW.
I literally had to scalp a few rhody’s down to their skivies literally from 6’ to 2’ 3 years ago to get the house painted. Just finished wacking them down again. Gotta get out the door and see out the windows. 😉
But in spring with several planted around the perimeter of the house , looking out the windows it feels like we’re on a float iin a parade surrounded with rhody’s in full bloom . I love parades. Started in school I guess it’s something ya never out grow,

This year fire season in Oregon is the worst year in history. Between Washington and Oregon over 1,100,000.
Still holding my breath that the firefighter help save what they can and stay safe. Sending blessings to all the firefighters.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had rhodies in the Bay Area, not in the sierra foothills, but then again in grants pass, medford and Vancouver now. Love them!

I did actually bring a lot of my plants from medford to up here.

It’s less hot and more cold, so my learning about what will survive a small freeze continues to be experienced.

I’m heading into my third winter here and hope that I will get used to the days and days of rain better than the last two.

I do love the way less expensive power and water bills!

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rhodie Ranch It’s always a new learning curve when moving to a new growing zone. I hope you discover that in the western PNW we can grow much more plants due to the cold weather that require it to flower or fruit.
Early spring magnolias bloom in Feb and weeping cherry trees in March and cherry trees that produce cherries also bloom. Oh and a fav plant that blooms in early spring snow or not are hellebores. Sending PNW green thumb your way. 👍
Pic of Hellebores floating in a bowl with cherry tree flowers.
IMG_2190.jpeg

Latest posts