Home Repairs

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Marie, do they have hardware stores with a paint department over there? (I don't know what exactly is a decorating shop, is that something like Home Depot or Lowes here across the pond?) In any case there should be a collection of latex interior paints with brochures of paint sample charts. Latex paint comes in flat or glossy, or semi-gloss as recommended by Baymule. It cleans up with just water, so it's more convenient than oil based paint. I'd recommend going over the "bad paint" with a coat of flat white just so the icky green doesn't show through whatever color you select to replace it with.
Flat white and latex paint 👏. I'm so grateful to you and @baymule . I have never come across latex paint before .

The last time I painted, I was pretty good with the roller but when it came to the gloss, oh my lord, making a mess honestly doesn't touch the surface.

Back then I went for red and white for kitchen cupboards. I was really impressed with my art work. Then went shopping and met up with my mother in law ( I didn't mention about my paint work,) .
I had every intention of bringing her back when hubby had got back from work, so they could both be surprised at the same time on my beautiful decor 😍 and surprised they were :ep
The red had run down into the white 😳 oh the horror of it all , I could have cried 😭

When ny husband and mother in law got over their shock they couldn't stop laughing. It looked like I'd been butchering more than decorating.

Hence I'm not risking anything this time, I making absolutely sure it gets done properly.

Thank you both for your help, it's very much appreciated 😀

And also when you apply the new paint, start with a single stroke with paint roller or brush on a single wall, so you'll have some idea what it will look like, both wet and dry.

It's usually a bad idea to ask someone else for recommendations, since only you know what colors you personally like. Sometimes even making your own choice can go wrong though. A year or so ago I decided to run a string of little green LEDs (I think they're called fairy lights where you are) across a wall in my spare room. I'd imagined these green lights would lend a peaceful ambiance to the room, but instead, when they were plugged in, the room looked bathed in a toxic fluorescence from a sci-fi horror movie. Replacing the green lights with a string of white LEDs changed the aura to one of restful peace. So you can't always tell until you see it!

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Marie2020 exactly what is it you don’t like? Color? Or semi gloss, gloss, or flat finish ? It’s just to clarify .

In my experience to get the color /type of paint that fits the character of your home colors and design which matches other room shades colors or an accent color chosen from an inspiration art piece..etc. Matching color is important get a paint color sample similar to what you think fits. They are paper strips with paint colors on them to make choosing a variety of paint colors easier.

Bring the paper samples home look at them under sunlight outside to assure color shade. Inside colors can be effected by inside lighting. Some light give off red, green yellow, blue huges that effects paint colors.

Once you find a color on sample chart then ask the paint center to prepare small samples -quart or smaller of the colors you are considering. Apply the paint sample colors side by side with a 2 foot space between them on the wall let dry . Then you have a way to compare different colors/ shades that is right for the area.

Keep in mind it’s a shade that ties in with other colors in the space or accent . Example: Maybe you have a favorite pillow you like the colors and choose a color to match as an accent color. Good Luck.

.View attachment 67838
Thanks so much :) .

I'm hoping a lady friend will direct me to the best shop for the paint this time

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have never come across latex paint before .
I strongly suspect you have, but that it's called something different in the UK. A quick search on paint types in your country doesn't mention it, but the description of water-based emulsion paint appears to be the same thing as our USA "latex paint."

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Flat white and latex paint 👏. I'm so grateful to you and @baymule . I have never come across latex paint before .

The last time I painted, I was pretty good with the roller but when it came to the gloss, oh my lord, making a mess honestly doesn't touch the surface.

Back then I went for red and white for kitchen cupboards. I was really impressed with my art work. Then went shopping and met up with my mother in law ( I didn't mention about my paint work,) .
I had every intention of bringing her back when hubby had got back from work, so they could both be surprised at the same time on my beautiful decor 😍 and surprised they were :ep
The red had run down into the white 😳 oh the horror of it all , I could have cried 😭

When ny husband and mother in law got over their shock they couldn't stop laughing. It looked like I'd been butchering more than decorating.

Hence I'm not risking anything this time, I making absolutely sure it gets done properly.

Thank you both for your help, it's very much appreciated 😀
OH no!

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you all very much. I will take all this advice with me when I look for this paint 😀

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yet another damp problem.
This time it's from under my sink and I cannot see where was is coming from.

I've reported this this morning as last night I had to wait all evening to make the call. It turned out the previous plumber hadn't fitted the drainage pipe correctly, he put a pipe in that was too short and was draining under my sink onto my kitchen cupboard and flooring.
Thank goodness another plumber arrived in the late afternoon and managed to find and correct size this time and made sure it was connected.

I thought I was spilling water every day as there was puddles.

Initially I came in for advice, but as I was writing this gentleman turned up.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG sorry you had to deal with an idiot that caused more damage. It is so aggravating when that happens.
It’s almost like it’s better to ask for 3 references to call before trusting anyone . I also use my phone to film before and after pics. I hope that idiot plummer has insurance to cover your latest repairs and clean up. This is a real sore issue with me . Had so many irresponsible repair issues that literally caused more damage. I contacted the companies insurance company thru my home owners insurance snd they covered a lot of the damages and repairs. Homeowners Insurance company also referred responsible contractors. Assuming you’re in a home you own.

Latest posts