Hot pepper spray.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something has been attacking the leaves on my cucumbers so I sprayed them with hot pepper and sprayed the area around the garden with repellent, and so far so good. I suspect this is the culprit. The damage stopped immediately after I treated the plants and area around them.

culprit.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jack, did you use a commercial hot pepper wax spray or did you make your own?

I've been using a commercial HPW spray to see if it will be helpful against the plague of deer at a job. I have had mixed results, I think it helps, but it has to be reapplied pretty often since everything is on sprinklers.

I sampled a leaf a few days after spraying and it wasn't hot at all :\, but I probably eat more spicy food on a regular basis than the average deer.

I am using it to try to get out in front of all the neighbors and the golf course who use deer spray. When everybody uses the same things the deer get so habituated that they eat everything anyway.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jack, did you use a commercial hot pepper wax spray or did you make your own?

I've been using a commercial HPW spray to see if it will be helpful against the plague of deer at a job. I have had mixed results, I think it helps, but it has to be reapplied pretty often since everything is on sprinklers.

I sampled a leaf a few days after spraying and it wasn't hot at all :\, but I probably eat more spicy food on a regular basis than the average deer.

I am using it to try to get out in front of all the neighbors and the golf course who use deer spray. When everybody uses the same things the deer get so habituated that they eat everything anyway.

The photo below shows what I used. The pepper spray is a wax and it says it should be applied a few times in 3-4 day intervals until the damage stops. The repels-all is the most HORRIBLE SMELLLING STUFF EVER!. It smells worse than any skunk could ever smell. The wind blew it back on my clothes and I had to change immediately. I am not sure what is working but the damage has stopped completely.

repellent.jpg