Longevity of Scabiosa and Speedwell

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I won some perennial plants, 5-gallon size, at a garden nursery some years back. The Scabiosa plant lasted 3 summers, I would say, before dying out. The pink veronica lasted 4, and the purple veronica lasted 5, I think, before dying out last summer. Is this characteristic of these plants, lifespan wise, or did something go wrong, do you think? The pink veronica looked something like this, but was a lighter shade of pink: https://anartistsgarden.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/pink-veronica.jpg

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The pink veronica that died was more of a mauve shade, now that I think about it... I miss it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have grown both of these species, GardenGeisha.

Veronica is still around after about 10 years. Seems in no hurry to part company.

The scabiosa went quickly. I had a fair number of plants but probably none lasted into their 4th year. Some short-lived perennials are like that, if that is what scabiosa is. Like the difference between 60 year old parrots and house sparrows ...

Steve

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Where do you have your speedwell planted? I noticed a lot of competition with weeds last year. I wonder whether they smothered it? I was too tired post-radiation treatments to attend to the garden as carefully as I normally do. What color is your veronica?

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Did your veronica spread? Mine stayed in small clumps. Maybe it didn't get enough sun. The vining maple really shades that bed, now that it has grown up so tall.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
But I LOVE the privacy the vining maple affords. Maybe I could plant veronica out front. It's so pretty.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The blue Scabiosa was short lived for me, 2 years. I think I read in the south it tends to live longer.

I've been hesitant to try veronica. A friend of mine has found it a bit aggressive. But I think she has a purple old variety, not one of the newer hybrids. They are very pretty! Says they can be divided every three years... I wonder if that would help re-invigorate growth.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have the best color vision, GardenGeisha. I'd say the flower color is somewhere between blue and red, not a pink.

The plants haven't spread, they must have "enlarged" several inchs. They are on both the south and north sides of roses. So, they have lots of sun. Or, little sun ...

The rose bed is in the shape of a triangle. The veronica is near a corner on both sides of a single rose bush.

Steve

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What are the names of your Veronica varieties Digits? Yes, Lavender2, I'll bet you are right that dividing it could re-invigorate growth. I noticed it was looking scroungier than usual last spring, weaker than in past years. I don't think I gave it too much water, and I don't think I underwatered it, either. I think it, like me, was tired, and it gave up the ghost. I think I'll try that old purple variety your friend has. I'd love it to take over my raised bed.... Thanks for the tip!

Latest posts