Maestro peas

hdan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Never grown or stored peas before.
Just wondering what to do with them as harvest gets closer. A lady in my area said they freeze well. I could remove from pods freeze them on cookie sheet, then bag. When taken out freezer thaw and they would taste same as if not frozen. She is aware you can't do that with other vegetables like squash because get watery after freezing when cooking. Is there other options for storing this vegetable?

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Never grown or stored peas before.
Just wondering what to do with them as harvest gets closer. A lady in my area said they freeze well. I could remove from pods freeze them on cookie sheet, then bag. When taken out freezer thaw and they would taste same as if not frozen. She is aware you can't do that with other vegetables like squash because get watery after freezing when cooking. Is there other options for storing this vegetable?
I've never stored peas. We eat them so fast just snacking in the garden, throwing them in stir fries or adding them to other yummy dishes like Thai seafood pasta. They don't stand a chance! Never any left!

hdan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've never stored peas. We eat them so fast just snacking in the garden, throwing them in stir fries or adding them to other yummy dishes like Thai seafood pasta. They don't stand a chance! Never any left!
That makes sense,
Could very well be the case here with me. Only have total 24' row.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
keep an eye out for raiders and be sure to leave some higher up pods to fully ripen and begin to dry down for seeds for future planting and sharing with your garden friends. :)

once they've begun to dry down it may be best to pick them and bring them inside and lay them out to completely dry out before shelling and putting them into storage.

they may also be edible as a dry soup type pea when cooked up. i love pea soup...

hdan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
keep an eye out for raiders and be sure to leave some higher up pods to fully ripen and begin to dry down for seeds for future planting and sharing with your garden friends. :)

once they've begun to dry down it may be best to pick them and bring them inside and lay them out to completely dry out before shelling and putting them into storage.

they may also be edible as a dry soup type pea when cooked up. i love pea soup...
Don't know anything about storage on peas.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
To store your peas, shell them out. Get a pot of water boiling and put peas in the boiling water. Time for two minutes, pour through a strainer. Then run cold tap water over them to cool them off. Drain on paper towels, then bag in ziplock bags. Use sharpie to write on bag with date and contents. Put in freezer.

The boiling water bath is called blanching. Blanching stops the enzyme action and preserves the fresh taste.

hdan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
To store your peas, shell them out. Get a pot of water boiling and put peas in the boiling water. Time for two minutes, pour through a strainer. Then run cold tap water over them to cool them off. Drain on paper towels, then bag in ziplock bags. Use sharpie to write on bag with date and contents. Put in freezer.

The boiling water bath is called blanching. Blanching stops the enzyme action and preserves the fresh taste.
51 days, 10 more days to go

Attachments

• 20240619_112302.jpg
    20240619_112302.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 9