Meat Farms and Animal Rescue

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
current PMU production has moved overseas

How does that stop the abuse? Just we don’t see it? That is the American way, don’t see it, it doesn’t exist so I can continue to buy/use. That is What happened to our vegetable farms-shipped to other countries where slave labor and banned in USA chemicals can be used.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There is a lot of assumptions and judgement in the above response . How do you know what I have done to support justice for equine abuse . I have had horses all my life , most were rescues. They are my heart.❤️

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
please explain how shipping that industry to other countries stops the abuse? Wouldn’t it have been better to mandate ethical treatment of animals in this country & penalize foreign import?

I have NO problem that what you described is horrible. Similar reason I will never buy or eat veal. I do not support that part of the food chain with my dollars.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a huge disconnect about what people think they know about the food chain and what is real. I blame that on AG failing to educate and educators to teach it.

in many places you won't get permission to film what actually happens on most feed lots or farms that raise animals for slaughter. how can you educate someone on what is happening if you can't even show what is happening?

Let me address just one misunderstanding. Hogs on pasture are better off. Late spring, early summer, late summer through fall, they look contented. Summer, they scald. Winter they freeze. Hog huts for protection?[...]

while i'm sure that some animals face horrible conditions that doesn't mean all of them are.

i do my part as best i can but there are restrictions in my life right now that make my choices fewer than they will be in the future.

in the past i ate a lot more canned sardines for my meat and i've been able to do more of that in recent months, but i'm only part of the tribe that lives in this house so i don't have full control of my meals. eventually i hope to get back to a more ethical diet. gardening at least helps keep more of my impacts local.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with @seedcorn . Shipping our Premarin mare’s production overseas is reprehensible. It’s an ugly process anyway you look at it. Worse when sent to other countries that don’t have strong animal abuse laws. If we are going to consume the product, make it here where the animals can get better care. It’s still an ugly process.

On horse slaughter, bring it back to the USA. Again, horses undergo long trips to Canada or Mexico. In Mexico, conditions are not good. In the USA, it could be regulated and the horses treated better.

Pigs. I’ve raised feeder pigs in a large pen with shade, shelter, plenty of clean water and feed. Sprayed with water hose twice a day because the soil was too sandy for a mud hole. Yes, they got lice. I made bread treats with apple flavored horse ivermectin wormer, folded over and mashed the edges to seal. Tossed over the fence, gulp, no more lice or worms.

But when feeding the masses, it must be efficient and controlled. Our meat supply is one of the cleanest in the world. Be grateful for that.

Now, my neighbor has a hog trap going. Feral hogs are so destructive and reproduce so fast and so many, that it’s open season all year even at night. I have plenty of pork! LOL Gonna share with family and friends. Never ending supply.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never ending supply? Tell your neighbor to build more pens, capture more hogs and utilize them. I don’t want to hear he’s only got so much time/energy. Tell him to work 24/7/365, sleep is over rated. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never understood why it’s OK to eat beef, pork, etc but horse meat is a huge NO NO. I would have slaughter houses as near the supply as possible.

Fish are treated 100X worse to process than any commercial raised animal for meat. But they aren’t cute and cuddly. Most states are loaded with fishing places, go ethically catch your own.