Nanking Cherry

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Some where on here we discussed these...I was thinking about ordering some but it sounds like they are really only good for juice or jam. Too small to deal with for pies and stuff.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
there's at least one thread (of decent length) here about them, try "search" on nanking or manchu cherry.

They're a pretty bush with beautiful if short-lived flowers and then usually good fall color (orangey), worth growing as an ornamental IMO even if you don't get much fruit from them. And you may not, because the birds tend to get there first. If you net the bush so you can get fruit, it is tiny and tart but quite tasty. They can be used for pie but you really have to like pitting lil' cherries :p -- fresh eating is fine, you can just spit out the pits (this assumes you like tart cherries - I do), and they make great juice for drinking or for jellies or sauces.

I have one here and as soon as I can liberate some garden budget for more shrubs my intention is to plant a couple more.

See if you can find the other thread, tho, I believe there are some good opinions there.

Good lukc, have fun,

Pat

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
there's at least one thread (of decent length) here about them, try "search" on nanking or manchu cherry.

They're a pretty bush with beautiful if short-lived flowers and then usually good fall color (orangey), worth growing as an ornamental IMO even if you don't get much fruit from them. And you may not, because the birds tend to get there first. If you net the bush so you can get fruit, it is tiny and tart but quite tasty. They can be used for pie but you really have to like pitting lil' cherries :p -- fresh eating is fine, you can just spit out the pits (this assumes you like tart cherries - I do), and they make great juice for drinking or for jellies or sauces.

I have one here and as soon as I can liberate some garden budget for more shrubs my intention is to plant a couple more.

See if you can find the other thread, tho, I believe there are some good opinions there.

Good lukc, have fun,

Pat
Pat,
Is there more than 1 variety of Nanking or is it just the one? I thought I remembered someone talking about one that had a little larger fruit.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
[Pat,
Is there more than 1 variety of Nanking or is it just the one? I thought I remembered someone talking about one that had a little larger fruit]

Were you referring to Hansen's Bush Cherry?, i myself have 4 of these in my garden.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
[Pat,
Is there more than 1 variety of Nanking or is it just the one? I thought I remembered someone talking about one that had a little larger fruit]

Were you referring to Hansen's Bush Cherry?, i myself have 4 of these in my garden.
I was not familiar with this variety Green Thumb but when I checked it out it looks promising. Thank you.

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'll repeat my other-thread vote for the Carmine bush cherry. It was developed by a university in Canada, to have larger, sweeter berries. I forget now whether Hanson or Nanking is sweeter than each other, but they are both pretty small, fun for eating while you garden (the sweeter one, anyway) but too pitty for other things. The only supplier I found when I bought a Carmine last year was Gurneys. It sounded like the best bet for both size and flavor.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Kellygirrl, I went and looked at these and they look great. I really want to get something....maybe 1 each of the Carmine and Hansen's to do a comparison. :)

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
kellygirrl said:
The only supplier I found when I bought a Carmine last year was Gurneys. It sounded like the best bet.
I bought my hansens tree from directgardening.com, they also carry nanking cherry.

Latest posts