Peppers 2024

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Peppers are beginning to ripen around the garden, so yesterday I was able to harvest a few Czech Black and Flaming Flare hot peppers. They are now in a jar in the basement, fermenting with some onion, garlic and Poblano Pepper for winter hot sauce. The seeds looked really good too!

Attachments

• IMG_20240915_103510655.jpg
    IMG_20240915_103510655.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240915_110148672.jpg
    IMG_20240915_110148672.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240915_103624233.jpg
    IMG_20240915_103624233.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 6

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
First time growing Beaver Dam peppers, after learning about them from many of you. I was unprepared for just how large these beauties are-- almost 6" long! Haven't tasted them yet; waiting for them to turn red, so I can save seed for next year.

Attachments

• IMG_20240916_102004742.jpg
    IMG_20240916_102004742.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 6

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
First time growing Beaver Dam peppers, after learning about them from many of you. I was unprepared for just how large these beauties are-- almost 6" long! Haven't tasted them yet; waiting for them to turn red, so I can save seed for next year.

did i send those to you?

they've been superb the past several years for me growing in mostly clay soil in full sun. i ate three of them the other day by cutting them up (removing the seed cores to be saved) into chunks, microwaving for some time to soften them up a little and then i let them cool off and added cottage cheese and some garlic salt. perfect level of heat for me (not too wild), flavor has been excellent.

i will be growing some more for next year. :) i have a few thousand seeds so plenty to share around. most will go for the seed swap in late winter - they were a popular item last year.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
did i send those to you?

they've been superb the past several years for me growing in mostly clay soil in full sun. i ate three of them the other day by cutting them up (removing the seed cores to be saved) into chunks, microwaving for some time to soften them up a little and then i let them cool off and added cottage cheese and some garlic salt. perfect level of heat for me (not too wild), flavor has been excellent.

i will be growing some more for next year. :) i have a few thousand seeds so plenty to share around. most will go for the seed swap in late winter - they were a popular item last year.
These seeds were from West Coast Seeds flowerbug. Have you been working on developing your Beaver Dam seeds?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... Have you been working on developing your Beaver Dam seeds?

not specifically, i just harvest seeds and dry them from the pods. i don't have any large spaces isolated enough to consider trying to isolate or develop new ones. as it went just the other day i discarded some seeds from a pepper that i otherwise would have saved because it was a thick walled green pepper, the flavor was ok, so why not? well, for me why not now comes down to, i just don't need any more projects and every time i take on something new that means eventually something else is going to fall out the other end... :)

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
not specifically, i just harvest seeds and dry them from the pods. i don't have any large spaces isolated enough to consider trying to isolate or develop new ones. as it went just the other day i discarded some seeds from a pepper that i otherwise would have saved because it was a thick walled green pepper, the flavor was ok, so why not? well, for me why not now comes down to, i just don't need any more projects and every time i take on something new that means eventually something else is going to fall out the other end... :)
This year I am trying to harvest poblano seeds separately from each of several robust plants, which makes for a more complex pepper project in the long run. I often start out well-organized, and then as the season wears on plants tend to get all muddled up despite my best intentions. Labeling is going much better for me now than it did in the past, which helps a lot.