Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Branching Out very nice pic . Bamboo in bloom only happens once in 20 years or more .
All the bamboo from that same mother bamboo plant will all bloom at the same time no matter where they are located.
From what I understand bamboo must have many flowers at the same time to spread pollen. Flowering is most likely so that the new seedlings will receive water , nutrients room and sunshine to start new stands of bamboo culms instead of the mother plant.

My black clump bamboo . Black Bamboo (Phyllostachys nigra)
Flowered 3 years ago in several locations around the garden at the same time and are just starting to push new shoots or culms from the seeds pollinated from the mother plant.
IMG_3750.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3751.jpeg
    IMG_3751.jpeg
    458.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Branching Out very nice pic . Bamboo in bloom only happens once in 20 years or more .
All the bamboo from that same mother bamboo plant will all bloom at the same time no matter where they are located.
From what I understand bamboo must have many flowers at the same time to spread pollen. Flowering is most likely so that the new seedlings will receive water , nutrients room and sunshine to start new stands of bamboo culms instead of the mother plant.

My black clump bamboo . Black Bamboo (Phyllostachys nigra)
Flowered 3 years ago in several locations around the garden at the same time and are just starting to push new shoots or culms from the seeds pollinated from the mother plant.
What an interesting phenomena-- and how cool that your bamboo seeds are sprouting into a new generation of plants. I had bamboo flower once, but never got any new shoots from it. :)

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It will take years for these little culms to grow big enough to become a nice wind screen again. It was an evergreen bamboo. The only deal that’s disturbing was at times the roots would follow the mole tunnels. Then the gophers .
I always wondered if the gophers could have been the catalyst that pushed it to flower munching on the roots.
I doubt it but ya never know. 😉

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Secuono again outstanding detailed hummer pics. I really enjoy captions and close up pics of humming birds. These little guys are awkward while standing , but flying … they are acrobats in the sky.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Secuono again outstanding detailed hummer pics. I really enjoy captions and close up pics of humming birds. These little guys are awkward while standing , but flying … they are acrobats in the sky.
From all of my interactions with these wasps, they seem to be super curious and not threatening. Really nosy, in your face curious. Is there documented cases of them harming hummers?
They sound more like helicopters, very low tone.
Too bad high speed cams are expensive.