Pineapple troubles

Herbal

Sprout
Reaction score
I have had this pineapple for about two years, I grew it from the top of one we got at grocery store. I was really just fooling around with it, I had tried once before with a top and failed, but this one took off. It barely survived last winter, I put it out in the afternoon and brought it in before the sun went down. Most of its leaves had died and I thought I had lost it, but come summer and a dose of miracle grow it was thriving.

I have three questions.

1) It got frost bit, I was sick as a dog and forgot about it the one night we actually got a freeze. Several of its leaves/frond thingies are now part way dead; should I cut back to where they are green?

2) And how do I overwinter it? Are they supposed to almost die? I have tried Googling it, no real answer, I guess pineapples aren't hugely popular.

3) Is this a lost cause?

We are in Al.
Kind of strange for a first post. :lol:
We do have a garden every summer/spring/fall and plant the usual.
Apple trees, black berry and raspberry vines.
Roses, bulbs and weeds.

Thanks in advance.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been overwintering pineapples for many years. I have an indoor greenhouse, but put it outdoors for the summer and keep it out until the first hard frost. The first plant came from a grocery store top. I don't remember how long it took to get a fruit but, it was small but the sweetest tasting pineapple ever. They are a tropical fruit and cannot withstand the cold. I would try to save yours by cutting it back, and give it some time. Wiggle the stalk to see if the roots seem alive. I have used orchid fertilizer on them in the past, along with anything else I happen to be fertilizing with. I get a fruit every year sometimes two from just a few plants. I keep replanting the tops. They will eventually split into several plants. The bloom that turns into the fruit is the most beautiful thing that you have ever seen. Do not be impatient with eating the fruit. They take forever to ripen. THey must be yellow and the scent will fill an entire room. If you have no attachment to the plant, and are impatient just buy another fruit and plant the top.

I have a great attachment to my plant. The top was from a fruit that I served to my family while my parents visited. They are both gone many years now, the plant remains and gives one or more special fruit a year and serve it with great fanfare. A connection to my parents that makes me smile.

Herbal

Sprout
Reaction score
I do have an attachment to the pineapple, been lugging him in and out for a long time now and I just about died when he got frost bit! :lol:
Thank you very much for the advice catjac, I hope mine makes it to the fruit stage. I can't wait now!

Thanks Thistlebloom!

homewardbound

Leafing Out
Reaction score
You will need a good 2 years for a pineapple to be ready to produce fruit. They do not have any kind of dormant season so keeping them indoors over the winter is a must. When the plant gets old enough to produce fruit you will need to put it in a plastic bag with an apple. The apple produces ethylene gas that will trigger the plant to produce a new fruit. I tried this one time by simply wrapping some plastic around the plant and apple and raccoons took the apple.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do not do this-they just show up one day.
homewardbound said:
You will need a good 2 years for a pineapple to be ready to produce fruit. They do not have any kind of dormant season so keeping them indoors over the winter is a must. When the plant gets old enough to produce fruit you will need to put it in a plastic bag with an apple. The apple produces ethylene gas that will trigger the plant to produce a new fruit. I tried this one time by simply wrapping some plastic around the plant and apple and raccoons took the apple.

Herbal

Sprout
Reaction score
Thought I'd update.

My home-started pineapple recovered, although it did take a good three months for it to start looking good again.
Thanks again for the advice and everything, without this site I probably would have just given up on it.

And bout 4 months ago I purchased another, an already grown one with an iddy biddy, green fruit on it.
Well now, the fruit is neon yellow and you can smell it all the way out in the yard! It's lovely, just wanted to post a pic to show off the little beauty!. :happy_flower

8719_dscf1663.jpg

Latest posts