Pineapple troubles

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had one eaten by a wild animal just as it was about to be eaten by us. Sounds like yours is ripe-it will be the sweetest pineapple you ever tasted. Keep the plant -it will split and fruit again. Take the top and plant it -it will do the same thing all over again.What fun.
Herbal said:
Thought I'd update.

My home-started pineapple recovered, although it did take a good three months for it to start looking good again.
Thanks again for the advice and everything, without this site I probably would have just given up on it.

And bout 4 months ago I purchased another, an already grown one with an iddy biddy, green fruit on it.
Well now, the fruit is neon yellow and you can smell it all the way out in the yard! It's lovely, just wanted to post a pic to show off the little beauty!. :happy_flower

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8719_dscf1663.jpg

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What's the best way to start a pineapple top? Is it just a matter of sitting it in a bowl of water for a while until roots sprout or should the top be part buried in soil and kept very moist? In terms of them liking the tropics, what about keeping them (once growing) in a greenhouse that is toasty warm & likely humid..? Just a thought..

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let it dry for a couple of days. Place it on top of moist potting soil. That's it!
RickF said:
What's the best way to start a pineapple top? Is it just a matter of sitting it in a bowl of water for a while until roots sprout or should the top be part buried in soil and kept very moist? In terms of them liking the tropics, what about keeping them (once growing) in a greenhouse that is toasty warm & likely humid..? Just a thought..

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cool.. Only on top of the soil -- not buried even a little? I'll give it a shot next time I see a pineapple.. Thx!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just needs contact with the soil. You can push it and twist it-I would not exactly burry it.
RickF said:
Cool.. Only on top of the soil -- not buried even a little? I'll give it a shot next time I see a pineapple.. Thx!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What we did was twist the top off of a regular store bought pineapple. We then pulled off enough of the leaves to expose some of the "root buds", we then put it in water for a couple of weeks until it got some roots.

We then put it in a big pot with just regular potting soil. I'm not sure if that was the correct way to do it, but, it's growing pretty well!!

We tried the "let it dry out a couple days and stick it in the soil" and it didn't work out so well... :/

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
this will be no help at all, but I had to share.

My first pineapple top, cut off a nice ripe pineapple, I stuck in a plastic salad tray filled with water. Then it got yucky with fruit flies, so I set it on the plant shelf in the garage (shop lights, winter, seed flats...) and promptly forgot about it for a while, adding more water when it dried up/I remembered. It rooted fantastically, I potted it up in an old scrub bucket of potting soil, and it is growing fantastically.

So, I tried it again, this time following all the instructions. That one died.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I actually do find they like a bit of neglect
StupidBird said:
this will be no help at all, but I had to share.

My first pineapple top, cut off a nice ripe pineapple, I stuck in a plastic salad tray filled with water. Then it got yucky with fruit flies, so I set it on the plant shelf in the garage (shop lights, winter, seed flats...) and promptly forgot about it for a while, adding more water when it dried up/I remembered. It rooted fantastically, I potted it up in an old scrub bucket of potting soil, and it is growing fantastically.

So, I tried it again, this time following all the instructions. That one died.

Latest posts