Planting parsley and needs some tips on location!

hibou

Sprout
Reaction score
hey everyone
so as you can see, ive never actually planted anything in my life
so I want to do this right :D
I live in a flat, so no garden, and I guess i need to plant parsley in pots
should I buy them in seeds, or....?
And for the pots, what size do they have to be...
I was thinking of maybe something like this
flower_pots__summer_colors-300x300.jpg

what do you think, too big?
or this
http://www.twenga.com/price-garden-plant-pots.html
the 5th one down.. what do you think? too small?
or do i need something bigger
aah this is complicated
how am I supposed to water it, I mean how much? what about sun exposure?
thanks for helping me out everyone

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the answer to you question, I am sure that someone will be able to answer for you. I am posting to say welcome to TEG.!!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As with any plant it's best to plant them in small pots and move them up a step at a time as they outgrow their present pot. If you start them off in a large pot the roots go right to the bottom and don't utilize all of the medium available. Plant roots always grow downward, never upward. If you start parsley from seed be prepared for a long wait. It is notorious for slow and uneven germination. Old time gardeners say,"Parsley has to go to the devil and back seven times before it sprouts".
Normally I like to start most of my plants from seed but with parsley I usually buy plants. Seed is just too unpredictable.

hibou

Sprout
Reaction score
hoodat said:
As with any plant it's best to plant them in small pots and move them up a step at a time as they outgrow their present pot. If you start them off in a large pot the roots go right to the bottom and don't utilize all of the medium available. Plant roots always grow downward, never upward. If you start parsley from seed be prepared for a long wait. It is notorious for slow and uneven germination. Old time gardeners say,"Parsley has to go to the devil and back seven times before it sprouts".
Normally I like to start most of my plants from seed but with parsley I usually buy plants. Seed is just too unpredictable.
aaah great!!!
thank you sooooo much

and thank you for welcoming me :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Hibou! :rainbow-sun You will love this site. It has some great people/gardeners.

I would use those colorful pots. They are very pretty. I would place them in a sunny spot if possible and water maybe every few days. Check to see how dry they are. Herbs are very forgiving.

Do what Hoodat says and start with small plants. You may also want to plant other herbs such as basil or thyme.

Good luck
Mary

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Welcome :frow
Parsley hates having it's roots crowded. I had bad luck growing it for years till my brother told me I needed to use deep pots with it. I humored him and gave it a one gallon plastic pot.
First time it ever grew lush and beautiful for me. It eventually spread till that pot was filled.

Latest posts