Redwood Trees - Transplanted & Dead... maybe coming back?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good luck with your trees Nifty ! I planted 100 Coast Redwood trees ( 12" tall seedlings) around the 2 1/2 acres of grounds around our ranch house near Fresno, Cal. 20 years ago. Being this is a high desert type of environment, I installed an underground drip irrigation system with 2 control valves at the house... I dug holes down to 40" and 3 ft. across ( to get below the hardpan so that the taproot can go far down ) , then got 10 ft. perforated plastic sewer line pipe and cut them into 3- 40" long pieces and set them down into the planting holes so the drip water goes down the 40" of pipe ( the pipe top set at 2" above soil line). This keeps the soil evenly moist. Since Redwoods like acid soil, I backfilled the holes with a mix of horse manure with the native soil and planted the tree seedlings. I also use wheelbarrow full of horse manure as mulch around the trees. Today 78 of them are alive and well and 30 ft. tall. Since the redwoods have a long taproot as well as MANY feeder roots that spread out 20-30 ft. +/- around the tree,( today, I can dig down anywhere about 50 ft. around the trees and run into the yellow pencil thick feeder roots ) they don't take to replanting very well. These feeder roots are known to fuse together when they come across it's neighbors' roots. So they can transfer water among each other... if one tree is at a lower level by a stream where they can take up water then transfer it up to trees on top of the hill / mountain. ( I learned about this little gem from a plant pathologist at UCD). Nice adaptation ! If you have the old style clay sewer pipe / or sewer leach field , these roots will work themselves in and clog the sewer line.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, nature is amazing, isn't it!?!?!

I bet your trees are beautiful! I have no idea if 78% is a good success rate, but with all the work you did it sounds good to me! We got about 8 SUPER tiny seedlings (maybe 8") from Home Depot about 5 years ago and only 2 of them survived. They are now about 7 feet tall and would probably have gotten even bigger if they weren't restricted in pots longer than they should have been.

I'd love for these trees to grow out. I think redwoods are beautiful and I've always wanted a tiny grove in the yard. They remind me of Muir Woods and camping... without the camping. ;) :D

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Exactly what thistle said Nifty. And BobM's 78% survival is considered good because of the taproot making transplant tricky.

I kind of think your trees that are "crispy critters" all the way down are firewood or artistic shapes in the landscape, but use thistle's well time tested nursery person's test method.

That one with life growing has a good chance of making it I think if nothing else bothers it. It will have an unusual look to it, so think of landscape that has some fun to it to go along with it.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Regarding the 12 Redwood trees that didn't make it - - about a year after I planted them, 10 3-5 ft. trees died due to a neighbor's 9 Longhorn cattle jumping the backyard fence and into my yard trampling / breaking them off / and eaten at ground level. So I lost 10 . The other 2 died at about the 3 year old mark (8-10 ft. ) during a very hot and dry summer and their drip irrigation emitters were clogged, so no water to them. Green one day, brown the next.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, considering how our success rate with our seedlings was only 25%, you did an amazing job!

:thumbsup

Latest posts