Reorganizing Gardens & House for Lower Maintenance

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
While making up my 2025 garden plans, I've come to the conclusion that the only container gardens I have that bring me joy these days are my raised bed of tomatoes and squash out back of the house, and the collection of flower pots on my front porch, as seen here:
FrontPorch13Aug2024b.JPG

So I'll be retiring all the other containers spread out across my land. It's as if all the vegetation in the affected areas have concurred with the new plan. Trees, formerly just seedlings have grown and transformed their domains into little mini-forests which need no care, while this island of rugosa roses and rudbeckia laciniata (below) has also become self-sustaining. I encourage jewelweed to engulf these plants in late summer because the pollinators love their tiny flowers. This whole area is buzzing with bees and hummingbirds until it all goes dormant in the fall. The most care it ever needs is removal of some of the dead rudbeckia stalks and snipping some rose branches in early spring.

IslandOfRosesJewelweedEtc.JPG

P1010011a.JPG

I've relented about retiring this whisky barrel planter (below) with cosmos planted each year from seed because it looks so pretty, and it doesn't require much care.

OrangeCosmosWhiskyPlanter.JPG

I've also been doing a major cleaning and reorganizing of the barn, cellar, and back porch. All are still a work in progress, but I'm already enjoying the effects of being able to access these places and find things again. A lot of stuff I can't bring myself to part with, either for the memories they hold, or because they could be useful or repurposed, but all these things are now better organized and tucked away.

This (below) doesn't look like much, but I managed to get new tubing installed (with help from youtube videos) on my air conditioner to replace the old rotted tubing, and fabricated this outdoor cover for it out of a U section of small ductwork. Its purpose is to funnel the water from condensation out into this colony of irises, and I know it works, because my feet kept getting little showers as I worked. This project was hanging over my head for a long time, so it's a relief to be done with it

AC_LineAndHousing.jpg

A lot of my collection of garden decorations don't look quite right anymore, so I've limited my colony of garden gnomes and other decorative things to the brookside gardens, and garden cats to the front porch. I'm comfortable with clutter, but even hoarders like me need to minimalize stuff from time to time. I'm hoping that I'll be able to enjoy next year's gardens more with less of a work load.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes, i've been doing some of those projects too in recent years. combining smaller gardens into larger gardens (which also meant removing some useless pathways), removing edging which isn't working (so we can just mow it), planting groundcovers to reduce weed infestations...

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeap I have been down sizing for 10 years. I switched from perennials and annuals because it’s a lot less clean up in fall. Entered a lot of dwarf shrubs and trees both deciduous and evergreen. Makes it a lot easier to prune. Less roses just a few shrub types. Now with all the different color dwarf evergreen shrubs I have a nice winter garden to with yellow, bluegreen , grays, reds , pinks in the winter garden and a nice fall showing. A lot less to drag to the burn pile. I also put a mulcher on my lawn tractor and I generally mulch all the fall leaves and trimmings from shrubs. No raking just a mulcher on the lawn tractor does the trick.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@SPedigrees , that is a very good plan of attack!! I am impressed. ;)
My Whiskey Barrel planter wasn't thought out. The outside is wood, has seen some weathering along with the metal rings, but the inside is a planter with no drainage holes.
Any thoughts?
Lots of thoughts! LOL I think it's been about 6 years since I bought that planter. Purchasing it from the feed store/garden center, I was warned to drive home with a car window open lest the fumes overtake me! You could almost become inebriated by the whiskey vapors alone. It was one of a new shipment direct from the brewery.

But I digress... Talk about not thought out... I filled the planter with a mix of soil and worm castings, with rocks on the bottom, then planted cosmos. Around mid-summer I noticed that the plants were not doing so well, and realized to my chagrin that I'd failed to add drain holes and that rain water had accumulated making a swamp. I did a partial temporary fix by drilling small holes around the sides of the planter and they spouted water like little faucets. When the season ended, I bit the bullet, emptied out the contents, flipped the barrel planter over and using one of those spade bits, drilled a bunch of large holes in the bottom. Then I flipped it back over and replaced the contents.

You could always just drill holes in the sides, as I first did, especially closer to the bottom of the planter, and it might be enough for drainage. I was so annoyed with myself for not thinking to drill out the underside of this new planter when I first brought it home, when I could have easily done this in the nice dry garage with electrical outlets, instead of dragging outdoor extension cords across the landscape and working on a dirt-encrusted used planter out in the weeds. I was pretty much queen-of-lack-of-foresight when it came to this whisky barrel planter. Come to think of it, the work I put into correcting my mistake is another good reason for exempting this planter from my garden downsizing plans.

mikethegardener

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Love the sound of your simplified garden plans! That whisky barrel planter with cosmos is stunning, and I'm glad you're keeping it. Your self-sustaining island of rugosa roses and rudbeckia laciniata is amazing too - the pollinators must love it. Good for you for tackling that air conditioner project and getting your spaces organized.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank goodness you have started this thread @SPedigrees 🙌 👏

There's a wormwood shrub i have in my garden but i don't have a clue which one it actually is. It's flowering right now and needs cutting back.

I've recently learned that a study has been made on the sweet wormwood, used by the Chinese for many years for parasitic diseases, various worms and cancer to name just a couple of these claims. The treatment is called "Artemisinin".

Anyway I'm hoping someone here would be able to help me find out which wormwood I have here. I'd be so grateful to know of course I'm hoping it's the sweet wormwood.

1000002704.jpg

1000002705.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are pictures from the University of California for Artemisia annua, which is known as sweet wormwood, by some folks I guess. The Department of Agriculture says that it is in both Washington State and Idaho but it isn’t the artemisia that I think of – there are 2+ here. I’m not sure how much it looks like your photos, @Marie2020 .

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Could it be? Artemisia absinthiumWormwood. It’s a beautiful silver grey blue color with lacy leaves. I’m not sure there are so many different types. You can opt for a plant ID app on line for your iPhone or other device.

I have wormwood in the garden it self seeds . I like to pick the tall 3-4’ stems in huge bunches and place in a dry container just for the fragrance to freshen up my home.
I have artemisia lidoviciana Western mugwort with striking lance-shaped, silvery-white blue/grey leaves.

Or contact your nearest ag.extension service for ID.

Latest posts