Show Us Your Tomato!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yummy Monty!
Those Brandywine are GORGEOUS. Those are some of my favorite to just eat standing in the yard.

I do have to say I'm happy I have a few pounds of Roma we're picking today. I lost all the slicers, but at least I'll have plenty of sauce and salsa this year. I'm a happy me! :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two years ago I grew Early Girl tomato. I thought it would be interesting to try to dehyridize Early Girl and see if I can get an open pollinated plant that is close to Early Girl. I saved seeds from EG and grew some last year then selected seeds from each plant. Seleted seed from two of those plants for growing this year that seemed to be the best representation of Early Girl. Both years I've got all sorts of combinations of leaves and heights in plants and various types of fruits. Fruit sizes from 4 oz to 16 oz, and some that are smooth to lightly ribbed to deeply ribbed. Also this year most of the fruits don't have as much flavor, seeds or juice. They seem more like a Roma type. I have been getting ripe tomatoes from them since about July 15th. The three red ones in the pictures are some of the various fruits types I have gotten and the yellowish tomato on the bottom right is Yellow Brandywine. That tomato will breed true when I save seed from this variety. However the red tomatoes made nice tomato sauce which I will enjoy throughout the next year. I have saved seed from these 2013 plants and will select something from them to grow again nex year in '14.

9596_various_tomatoes.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Huh, Bluejay, it looks like your Early Girl reverted to a brandywine lookalike. But not very tasty, you say?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
What an interesting experiment, Bluejay. It wouldn't have occurred to me to UN-cross one.

I finally am getting a few ripe tomatoes. What a weird year this has been. I've got 2 Abe Lincolns and a nice big Black Krim sitting on my counter, waiting for the bacon and lettuce. :D The Abe Lincolns are supposed to be good canners. They are big and round.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well I've just now started to get some ripe slicers in the garden. I managed to rejuvenate my Early Pinks, which I thought were goners but I'll get a few fruits off of them. I did pinch all the blossom on those 2 plants (only have 2 EPs) too so we'll see how it plays out.

First time trying Pinks so hopefully I can get some respectably sized fruits.

Blights creeping in on us too. It reared its ugly head yesterday so we'll see what I can get. Might be a bunch of counter ripening maters here.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got a neighbor who grew a few San Marzano tomatoes this year. Two of them developed like these. I thought they were so entertaining to look at. I said let's put the two together take their picture, and call them Mr. and Mrs. Tomato.

9596_mr_and_mrs_tomato_2.jpg

Mr. and Mrs. Tomato