Strawberries... had to cancel an order

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok.. I just cancelled my order for strawberries from Parkseed. They are back ordered until April and then they wouldn't ship until mid april. All the strawberry field around here are going already, and my neighbor planted his already. I wanted them in before April.

So where could I possibly order about 25+ and a hanging growing bag for them.

I'd like to keep this under $20 with shipping!

My order from Parkseed was only $18 with shipping for 25 plants and 2 hanging bags.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I saw plants at TSC this morning $9.99 for 10.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
oh that sucks, try directgardening .com the prices for the strawberries are really inexpensive. My Johnny's seeds by the way are expected to arrive soon, cant wait :)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

Did you try Jungs ?

I once ordered strawberries from them and they got them to me quickly after I explained that I am in the high desert and that they needed to be started by March. They did fantastically.

Ron

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I looked around and no one really had any strawberries with the 'bags' I needed to hang them off my deck to grow.

So I went to Gurney's and got them for $4.95 for 25, so I ordered 50. Now I have to build another raised bed. My husband is going to be thrilled! LOL

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
So I went to Gurney's and got them for $4.95 for 25, so I ordered 50. Now I have to build another raised bed. My husband is going to be thrilled! LOL
Gurney's is a great company, thats a good deal for 25. Can never have too many strawberry plants. I'm glad it worked out for you.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now I had to think this through... but I realized a little too late it does me no good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but June bearing strawberries are Annuals that fruit in June? Everbearing strawberries fruit twice a year and are perennial? I ordered Everbearing because we just built a bed for them tonight, and I'm hoping to have them year to year now in their own bed. :hu

2dream

Leafing Out
Reaction score
vfem said:
Well, I looked around and no one really had any strawberries with the 'bags' I needed to hang them off my deck to grow.

Just thought you would like to know.
My strawberries from Gurney's arrived 2 weeks ago and are doing great. Only lost one plant. My bundle of 25 Everbearing contained about 28 plants so I am still ahead.

On a side note: My husband was also thrilled about building another bed for me. Once the plants arrived he kind of perked up. And now he is watching them as close as I am. LOL

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but June bearing strawberries are Annuals that fruit in June? Everbearing strawberries fruit twice a year and are perennial? I ordered Everbearing because we just built a bed for them tonight, and I'm hoping to have them year to year now in their own bed. :hu
I'm pretty sure June bearing strawberries are also perennial. From what I'e read about them, they are productive for 2-3 years.

I order 25 Annopolis, 25 Ozark Beauty, and 25 Jewel for $21.95 from Jung. This combination of varietys should give us berries all summer. We'll see. I should be receiving them soon.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
Now I had to think this through... but I realized a little too late it does me no good.

Both types are perrenial but "short lived perrenial". Depends on type of plant, soil, care, etc. but most will last between 3 and 6 years.
June bearers bear once in June and Everbearing or Day Neutral types will usually produce 3 times per season but not nearly as many berries each time as June Bearing do.
We did small fuits and berries in Master Gardener class this week. lol

Latest posts