Strawberries... had to cancel an order

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Setter... I soooooooooooooo want this gardening class you've been taking!!! You've had some awesome advice that you've learned this week on a lot of subjects I'm clueless about. Is this a college course, or something you found locally through a nursery?!!? You've got me so curious!!! :p

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It's Penn State's Master Gardener class thru the county extension office.
Check with your extension office you probably have one avaiable to you. I think every state but Alaska has a Master Gardener class.
We are on week 3 and I am LOVING it! Once we're done we have to do 50 hours of volunteer service to be certified and then 30 hours of service and 8 hours of continuing ed every year to stay certified.
Ours costs $125 but it is soooo worth it!
We have next week off so we got homework and my assignment is a program on Tobacco Mosaic Virus. WooHoo! lol

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
setter4 said:
vfem said:
Now I had to think this through... but I realized a little too late it does me no good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but June bearing strawberries are Annuals that fruit in June? Everbearing strawberries fruit twice a year and are perennial? I ordered Everbearing because we just built a bed for them tonight, and I'm hoping to have them year to year now in their own bed. :hu
Both types are perrenial but "short lived perrenial". Depends on type of plant, soil, care, etc. but most will last between 3 and 6 years.
June bearers bear once in June and Everbearing or Day Neutral types will usually produce 3 times per season but not nearly as many berries each time as June Bearing do.
We did small fuits and berries in Master Gardener class this week. lol
I would really like to understand strawberries better. I talked to someone who starts a new bed every year or is it two with some of the young plants, and retires the old bed, b/c the mothers become unproductive. Issues with disease build up would be avoided by rotating as well (another reason I've been given for buying new plants). Then I wouldn't think you would ever need to buy more plants. I wish I could hear from more people, because something in me balks at the idea I'm supposed to buy new plants every 3 years when clearly they are capable of reproducing.

June bearers are bigger and sweeter and produce more overall, they say, than everbearers. I have both, plus alpines (which spread by seed, not runner, make tiny delicious fruit). I'm doing it all haphazardly tho (as usual:/).

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
kellygirrl said:
setter4 said:
vfem said:
Now I had to think this through... but I realized a little too late it does me no good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but June bearing strawberries are Annuals that fruit in June? Everbearing strawberries fruit twice a year and are perennial? I ordered Everbearing because we just built a bed for them tonight, and I'm hoping to have them year to year now in their own bed. :hu
Both types are perrenial but "short lived perrenial". Depends on type of plant, soil, care, etc. but most will last between 3 and 6 years.
June bearers bear once in June and Everbearing or Day Neutral types will usually produce 3 times per season but not nearly as many berries each time as June Bearing do.
We did small fuits and berries in Master Gardener class this week. lol
I would really like to understand strawberries better. I talked to someone who starts a new bed every year or is it two with some of the young plants, and retires the old bed, b/c the mothers become unproductive. Issues with disease build up would be avoided by rotating as well (another reason I've been given for buying new plants). Then I wouldn't think you would ever need to buy more plants. I wish I could hear from more people, because something in me balks at the idea I'm supposed to buy new plants every 3 years when clearly they are capable of reproducing.

June bearers are bigger and sweeter and produce more overall, they say, than everbearers. I have both, plus alpines (which spread by seed, not runner, make tiny delicious fruit). I'm doing it all haphazardly tho (as usual:/).
As I'm still learning I found the need to just ask as what I'm reading seems very contridtory. Such as I read and here and there about what produces better... what does... replace every 2-3 years, replace every 4-6 years. Blah blah blah

I feel for the price of $9.95 for 50 plants, its not a bother to replace them every few years, I'm getting my monies worth. I like the idea of everbearing, as if I get a strawberry impulse in August or September I may have some on hand and not end up at the store spending $6 on a small pint!!!!

I was also warned Junebearing can get a lot more runners coming off the plant. Great if you have the space to transplant and rotate then you never have to actually buy more plants. Just collect and move runners. But you're stuck with lots of fruit in june and thats it!

So I had to weigh my options (which I didn't realize until AFTER I bought the strawberries) and I came up with the everbearing being my choice. Good thing those are what I ended up ordering!

Besides with the fewer runners to almost no runners at all on these type... I can keep a few in pots on the deck :D

I'll even have a seperate bed down by the pond with strawberries so the birds and wildlife can help themselves!

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Everbering do get runners. I'm not sure if they were more or less than June bering but they DO get runners.
Also you can mow the plants down after they fruit and remove the "mothers" that causes the "daughters' to become stronger.

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
Well, I looked around and no one really had any strawberries with the 'bags' I needed to hang them off my deck to grow.

So I went to Gurney's and got them for $4.95 for 25, so I ordered 50. Now I have to build another raised bed. My husband is going to be thrilled! LOL
Thats where I got mine from last year, they did great! where growing in the bag when they got here. Good luck with them. :thumbsup

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nightshade said:
vfem said:
Well, I looked around and no one really had any strawberries with the 'bags' I needed to hang them off my deck to grow.

So I went to Gurney's and got them for $4.95 for 25, so I ordered 50. Now I have to build another raised bed. My husband is going to be thrilled! LOL
Thats where I got mine from last year, they did great! where growing in the bag when they got here. Good luck with them. :thumbsup
Oh, I meant Parkseed had growing bag that are huge and Hang off my deck from hooks. I fill the bags with dirt and they hold the strawberries off the sides. I haven't been able to find those bags anywhere else at even a decent price.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's a good idea smom. Only problem it, its a lot of pots for 50 berries.

Don't have that much deck space available. We're just going to add yet a 3rd raised bed.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Gurney's just sent me my shipping confirmation! My strawberries left yesterday UPS and should be here Saturday or Monday. (Saturday I hope, as Sunday should be a great day to plant. :D )