stubbed toes and mud pies

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you don't like spiders don't look at this picture... not sure if that applies to you @Zeedman... :)

you've been warned...

beep beep beep...

etc...

it's a very good hunter from what i can see down underneath it. those fuzzy balls and the spider i had to clean up along with all those bugs and spider poo/pee/gunk (ejecta? :) ).

DSC_20221116_091957-0500_1803_Spidey_thm.jpg

i found another one a few feet away behind something else that i cleaned up while i was there. wonder how many more of these are in the house? i dunno. i have found two in other places. will have to go around and see if i can do a census. cellar spiders are normal here and i don't really mind them. they don't leave such big messes like these other spiders.

i haven't done any searches online yet to see if i can figure out what type of spider this is.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cellar spiders, eh?

I looked it up. Kind of a broader common name for a Daddy Long-legs. Maybe I can use it to apply to the long-bodied species. Cellar ... I should be able to remember that. (Actually, I think that we sometimes have Black Widows in our cellar room. I'm not looking too closely at those ;).)

The Daddy Long-legs, with their round little bodies, are quite common outdoors and in the garden. I always slow down a bit to give them time in move out of the way. Suspect that they do lots of favors for me.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' if you search looking for images of daddy long legs you'll see that most of the pictures brought up have a round body shape and that they are pretty large. cellar spiders are quite wispy and very insubstantial in comparison.

what i consider a cellar spider:

20191110_143050.jpg

that's a very large specimen, most of what i see are very tiny and almost invisible.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
what is left of this season's squash that i brought in from the garage. with the temperatures getting down too far below freezing the garage isn't reliable for keeping them so they have to come inside. since our conditions in here are warmer than they should be kept in i'll have to process these within the next few months.

the most interesting one to me is the different colored lighter (larger) one on the lower left side. will save those seeds for sure to replant. :)

DSC_20221117_115210-0500_1804_Squash_thm.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
talking to someone else they mentioned that the rounder shaped large squash might be a Sweet Meat type. i'd not heard of that one before but the shape is about right and sometimes the color too, but when comparing the insides the SM squash are more thicker than what i've grown.

possibly SM genes though for sure as the Baby Blue Hubbards could have been grown around other squash that crossed with them. or perhaps the Buttercup seeds came with some mixed genes too? either way it is ok with me. :)

i think i only have one Buttercup squash, not very big, hope a few seeds are viable...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, those look very much like our pile of Winter squash, now on basement shelves.

Buttercup, Sweet Meat and Kabocha. It surprises me just a little that Sweet Meat matures okay given that it is listed as having so many dtm. Those designations are not the best reference points. I have said it before, we would be better off if growing degree days would be used. Still, that would not be definitively accurate since the plants have to recover from especially cool nights in my location.

I had intended to grow Butterbaby in '22 to learn if I could deepen the bench in the squash patch. Early Butternut does okay but my persnickitiveness doesn't appreciate its unattractive specimens ... I know, "When are you gonna grow up, Steve??"

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had intended to grow Butterbaby in '22 to learn if I could deepen the bench in the squash patch. Early Butternut does okay but my persnickitiveness doesn't appreciate its unattractive specimens ... I know, "When are you gonna grow up, Steve??"

haha! i just don't really like the taste of Butternuts for some reason i can't pin down, but then again after i found Kabochas and Buttercups i didn't really want to eat them any more anyways. it's like while i do like an Acorn squash once in a great while i don't go out of my way to buy them or grow them. the Sweet Dumplings turned out way too sweet. Hubbards or these odd squash that showed up seem to be close enough to an Acorn squash for my tastes. will be interesting when i start getting into those big squash to see what they are like inside. :) looking forwards to that.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' in looking at more spider sites to see if i can figure out what spider i've been hunting down as i am cleaning.

i agree with you that what i call a cellar spider is also called a Daddy Long Legs spider, but then i'm wondering what spider i do consider a DLL is called because they do look so different to me. i'll see if i can figure that out sometime. :)

in the meantime the BigButtLittleSpider i've been finding is likely a Common House Spider, which while it may be common has not been common in our house until this past year. i've been doing more cleaning today and found three more. only one had the egg cases/cocoons so i'm curious about their life cycle and will be continuing my reading and looking around for that information.

i'm also going to be keeping an eye out for some corners to see how long it takes for a new spider to set up shop. i know i'm not getting them all...

i went through and checked all the worm buckets and got them fed and watered and was glad to not see any Common House Spiders in any them. last few times i'd checked i did find those in a bucket or two a few times (and removed them as i don't want spiders that big in the buckets - i think they'd eat too many other bugs i'm trying to keep including the tiny spiders) - they do seem to eat the Woodlice and i like those creatures so...

the only way i can make cleaning interesting is noticing the various spiders and finding out more about them. :)

Latest posts