stubbed toes and mud pies

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wanna know, have you ever seen the rain?
I wanna know, have you ever seen the rain?
Comin' down on a Summer day?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
trash is out, rat trap set for chipmunks, Mom did take down Stonehenge III a few days ago so that area is back to normal and then yesterday there was something starting to dig through the gravel and black plastic again. :( raccoon or chipmunk... we'll see how this morning goes.

will get some weeding in and from the pathways done today for a few hours. sunny and cool to start with today but temperatures will head up to the low 80sF. it's summer and summer routine engaged...

when i got up this morning Mom's sitting in her chair with a blanket on her saying she needs to get out her winter clothes. it was 72F in here, but i did close the door and asked her if she wanted the heat turned on. then she got her coffee and is all warmed up and good to go now. :)

the sun's about to come over the trees and i'll have to get my blocker (a pillow that i can fold in half) out and prop it up on my knees - yep, there she is... without a blocker i'd be blind trying to type.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
a few hours of weeding yesterday and then took a break, later on when the sun was fully out and in between clouds i could take a few pictures that Mom wanted. i still need to edit them, but at least i got that far with them...

plenty of weeding still to do, but it's fairly decent in most places i see. just a few areas that are problems that are gradually being corrected as i transplant ground covers (which keep so many weeds from sprouting to begin with).

today is a puttering about indoors kind of day with too much rain coming down and i have stacks of projects sitting here to ignore for a bit longer as i try to finish up a big one i've been working on for a long time. it may take me another month or two to finish, but i'm enjoying it enough to keep going. it's very picky, pedantic, detail oriented and i've come a long ways to get this far so i might as well finish it.

[ ye old accounting records project, skip the rest of this if me nattering on about what i'm doing and finding doesn't appeal to you... :) ]

the annoying part though is that i did throw some records away some years ago and never imagined i'd want them, but now i wish i hadn't and so those parts of this project are just stubs that show up in other places where i get to put in notes that yes, it still is an incomplete record of things even if i've gotten a large percentage of everything.

and then there are those times where i come across a transaction and i have no memory of what it was for at all. so there are mysteries in there that even i can't solve... that actually gives me some comfort in an odd way... :) and amazingly my OCD quirks aren't upset so perhaps i've trained myself well enough to let things go at times... which is good considering how old i'm getting.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My goodness Flowerbug it sounds like you have so many weeds! lol. Is there anything you can do to control them so they don't come back each year with a vengence? Maybe put cardboard down on those paths?

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My goodness Flowerbug it sounds like you have so many weeds! lol. Is there anything you can do to control them so they don't come back each year with a vengence? Maybe put cardboard down on those paths?

Mary

the problem is that the pathways in the gardens are mulched with crushed rinsed limestone and they have accumulated enough dirt and other debris that they basically need to all be taken up and the gravel rinsed out. that takes a lot of work which i don't have time for and it is still more efficient for me to go and pick the weeds out of the gravel than it is to clean the gravel.

some of the pathways that were useless i have removed and that has saved me a lot of hours each year. i'd like to do that again sometime but it won't be this year. making smaller gardens into bigger ones is well worth the time if i can get to it. not this year.

it was a nice day outside today and i made progress for a change.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Friday was a nice day and i did make more progress, but right when i was getting to breaking some sod down and pulling out the grass roots it started to rain and so i came in. it did not rain hard enough or long enough that i could not have gone back out, but i was tired enough that i said it was enough and called it a day.

it rained enough last night and this morning that i can go out and check out my water flows and puddles.

and a late nesting killdeer decided to put her nest right next to the driveway and i thought it not the best spot because of water flows, but i think she's still out there this morning sitting on her two eggs. we wonder if she'll actually be able to get the young large enough to migrate later in the season or not, but i guess she's very determined.

Latest posts