Sweet Peas!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love the colors of these sweet peas looking out to the sea!

Attachments

• IMG_20220807_105150213_HDR_640x480.jpg
    IMG_20220807_105150213_HDR_640x480.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20220807_105202409_HDR_640x480.jpg
    IMG_20220807_105202409_HDR_640x480.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 121

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
One had better HOPE they are the annual type (though it is a little late for those to be in flower now). The perennial everlasting pea is HYPER invasive and hard to get rid of (I saw banks of it along the sides of the highway on Friday, just smothering everything.)

that's one reason why i shuddered when Mom started wanting to plant sweat peas here for the flowers - all i could recall was a huge bank of them smothering things that was growing near the university. i was like, "Yeah, I really need something like that here!" NOT...

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In January 2022 I ordered eight kinds of desirable sweet pea seeds from Ardelia Farm in Vermont. Spendy seeds at $4.95 for just 10 seeds. I tried growing out several of them last spring with mixed results; seeds were saved at the end of the season from those plants that made it through. This summer we had two strong patches grown from saved seeds, and we were able to cut bouquets all summer long. Now we are saving seeds again, being careful to harvest the dry brown pods before they twist open and expel their buckshot-like seeds all over the garden. The seeds are also capable of ricocheting all over the house when the pods explode, so they are placed well apart indoors lest the different varieties get mixed up. King's Ransom, Nancy, and Spring Sunshine Cerise each seem to be good seed producers, as well as a pretty white one with hot pink picotee (I don't have a record of ordering one that looks like that, so I suppose it could be a rare sweet pea cross). Also, it appears that Ardelia Farm has recently been sold, as its farmers have moved to Portugal to begin a new adventure there-- so I am very happy to have snagged these special sweet pea seeds before they closed up shop. With Ardelia gone it could be hard to source specific seeds going forward, so I will just start a few from each packet and hope that they eventually make it to the flowering stage.

In the freezer are unopened packs of Winter Sunshine Light Blue and Winter Sunshine Opal, which are recommended for high tunnels. The Winter series seems to require earlier sowing than standard spring varieties as they initiate flowering when day length is just 10 hours. That would be mid-February in the Pacific Northwest, so I suppose seeds would have to be started in early December. Cultivation is different as well; evidently if you pinch these ones it will set back flowering, and can even kill the plant.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sweetpeas can be started early in my heated greenhouse in March and ready to harden off and plant in the string lattace -prepared garden by end of May - June. I grew an old fashioned type monk’s favorites. Very fragrant, just one stem could lighten up and freshen any space inside . Did you know sweetpeas were discovered by a monk in Italy in the late 1600’s.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Branching Out , you have done your research.

I used to order from Thompson and Morgan, then their N America presence sorta collapsed. They had such a huge selection of sweet peas.

The Farmhouse Flower Seeds (Washington State) is right in our neck of the woods. And, they sure seem to specialize in sweet peas. Johnny's has some.

Steve

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Branching Out , you have done your research.

I used to order from Thompson and Morgan, then their N America presence sorta collapsed. They had such a huge selection of sweet peas.

The Farmhouse Flower Seeds (Washington State) is right in our neck of the woods. And, they sure seem to specialize in sweet peas. Johnny's has some.

Steve
Is this the flower farm that you're referencing? They certainly do have a lot of sweet peas, and their Willly Wonka Mix looks amazing!

Latest posts