Tomatoes for 2024

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago we planted out some tomato seedlings at our friend's community farm and they have been attacked by what we believe to be flea beetles. A few important bean seedlings running alongside the tomatoes have been munched really heavily as well. If the plants can hang in there and pump out a few healthy leaves they might survive, but it's a significant infestation. So far it's only in one small patch of the large garden, with some damage evident on tomatoes in the hoop house as well. I have a big bucket of diatomaceous earth, so I will try mixing it with water and spraying it on the leaves to see if that helps.
That's terrible. I hope the diatomaceous earth will save your plants.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Branching Out ,

Spinosad has been my go-to for flea beetles.

Pyrethrum, neem and insecticidal soap are contact sprays and flea beetles can be extremely active and trying to chase those beetles down is limited. So, the other choices in my arsenal are not the best.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've seen damage here but never so much that they actually killed the plants.

what i have noticed is that it seems to be the worst in lower places with more sandy soil. i'm not sure if spraying with a light clay solution would help or not, but it probably would not hurt. diotomacious earth powder applied to the leaves my protect some, but hard to apply (need protection and the right equipment).

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is how I get rid of them - molasses on a hard surface, bounce it around the plants. They jump right on.
1719025835032.png

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Branching Out ,

Spinosad has been my go-to for flea beetles.

Pyrethrum, neem and insecticidal soap are contact sprays and flea beetles can be extremely active and trying to chase those beetles down is limited. So, the other choices in my arsenal are not the best.

Steve
Exactly-- the flea beetles are far quicker than I am!! I was reading about Spinosad yesterday, and I will try to track that down. Thanks!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i've seen damage here but never so much that they actually killed the plants.

what i have noticed is that it seems to be the worst in lower places with more sandy soil. i'm not sure if spraying with a light clay solution would help or not, but it probably would not hurt. diotomacious earth powder applied to the leaves my protect some, but hard to apply (need protection and the right equipment).
Hmmm....the video I watched suggesting mixing 1 tablespoon of diatomacious earth with 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. No special protection was suggested. Maybe I should wear a mask when I apply it, just in case.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is how I get rid of them - molasses on a hard surface, bounce it around the plants. They jump right on.
View attachment 66705
What an excellent homemade trap. Non-toxic, reusable, cheap--- those are three of my favourite qualities when it comes to pest control. I'll give it a try. Thanks so much! :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmm....the video I watched suggesting mixing 1 tablespoon of diatomacious earth with 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. No special protection was suggested. Maybe I should wear a mask when I apply it, just in case.
People take diatomaceous earth as a health/herbal supplement (add the powder to drinks), it's basically just silica. People also use it to brush their teeth and as a skin exfoliant. The food industry uses it in powdered goods as an anti caking agent. I've never heard of needing to protect yourself from it, I've used the stuff a lot.

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
People take diatomaceous earth as a health/herbal supplement (add the powder to drinks), it's basically just silica. People also use it to brush their teeth and as a skin exfoliant. The food industry uses it in powdered goods as an anti caking agent. I've never heard of needing to protect yourself from it, I've used the stuff a lot.
Diatomaceous earth is a severe breathing hazard. Johns-Manville had a major payout over lawsuits because of silicosis caused by DE.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

the dry powder should not be inhaled or gotten in your eyes...

Latest posts