Tradescantia by any other name is just as lovely

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i think those are the same plants that we had for a few years in some gardens and then decided they were too invasive in their spreading by seeds. we still find them in various gardens nearly 20 years later... various colors from pink to purple (if they are indeed the same plants - not sure yet - as in not really awake yet)...
If the spiderwort is dropping seeds they are either not germinating here, or not spreading much at all-- although I did find a plant yesterday that resembles it. Maybe it is one of those ones that is invasive in some areas, but not all areas.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Spidderrwort can be a bit invasive in my zone. That’s ok with me , I divide them and put them in a zero water zones and they do great. They are heat tolerant and critters proof-all kinds ground and deer.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
So, what IS your growing zone? Oregon has much more divers growing zones than IL does.
1723136848324.png

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ducks4you I don’t know how I missed this. My growing zone is 8b. A diverse zone with lots of plant, trees, shrubs and garden veggies. But with climate change it varies. Up until 5 years ago our summer temps never reached 3 digits. Now it’s becoming the norm along with horrendous wildfires. Ice storms in winters never before experienced.
What’s your zone?

This plant can get invasive , but I like it. They are a no fuss, no muss plant in my garde. I could use more of those. Easy care.
IMG_1692.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts