Using garlic stalks to make garlic pesto

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Again, this is from the book, Newspaper, Pennies, Cardboard & Eggs for Growing a Better Garden, by Roger Yepsen.

Unless you want garlic plants to make seed heads, you can harvest the stalks early, while they're still tender, and pulverize them into pesto.

A simple recipe uses 3 cups of the stalks, 2/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and 2/3 cup olive oil. Process in a blender.

Heck -- might as well get use out of this part of the garlic plant, too!

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've been reading an old discussion on Gardenweb about leaving the scapes on, in order to get better storage bulbs. The guy who explains it is a commercial grower. I'm going to try it next year. Hardnecks (the ones w/ scapes) are supposed to be more flavorful, but less keeping than softnecks. I've always grown softnecks. Except that sometime in my early oblivious gardening history after buying my house, I planted a hardneck which has essentially naturalized in my yard. I scatter the seeds in the berry patches (supposed to be protective), and they scatter themselves wherever. They make small bulbs when grown from seed. I like having all those garlic greens to harvest when I want, and small bulbs in the fall, that I know will always be there, even if I forget to plant my "real" patch.
Here's the link about leaving scapes on for better storage:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/allium/msg1016544931123.html

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
They're called scapes :) And they are delicious! Last year, I had about 500 garlic bulbs planted for basically my first time growing garlic. Then, they started sprouting out these long curved things at just the same time I read a Mother Earth News article on scapes! My CSA customers got thick bunches of these for a couple weeks until every last one had been picked. I chopped my up and froze some, ate them fresh and made them into pesto. They are WONDERFUL in soups, stir-fries, pesto on bread, noodles or the sauce for pizza.

Here's my pesto recipe:

Garlic Scape Pesto

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp. fresh lime or lemon juice
1/4 lb. scapes
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt to taste

Puree scapes and olive oil in a food processor until smooth. Stir in Parmesan and lime or lemon juice and season to taste. Serve on bread, crackers or pasta.