Weed exterminators

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't all weeds need to be dug out by the roots? Anything else is a waste of time.

it depends upon the weed, some i don't mind leaving to cut off several times a season for their green manure aka worm food and then the fall freezes take them out for good.

anything that might drop a lot of seeds gets taken out along with, oxalis, purslane, nettle, spotted spurge and some grasses and others that i don't want to spread. some of them the earlier you get them the easier they are to take out. one scrape might be enough for some seedlings on a sunny day.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
it depends upon the weed, some i don't mind leaving to cut off several times a season for their green manure aka worm food and then the fall freezes take them out for good.

anything that might drop a lot of seeds gets taken out along with, oxalis, purslane, nettle, spotted spurge and some grasses and others that i don't want to spread. some of them the earlier you get them the easier they are to take out. one scrape might be enough for some seedlings on a sunny day.
I think one of the most difficult "weed" invaders to eradicate are Himalayan blackberry vines! Those are a nightmare to get rid of! When they grow in "appropriate" areas I like them because they produce tasty berries in the late summer.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wouldn’t it be nice if all the animals that visit my garden ate all the weeds. Never found a dead animal though with spot spraying. I rather do that than end up with acres of mole gopher mounds and 100’s of dollars of lost plants / veggies.👍

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think one of the most difficult "weed" invaders to eradicate are Himalayan blackberry vines! Those are a nightmare to get rid of! When they grow in "appropriate" areas I like them because they produce tasty berries in the late summer.

i've been to Oregon and Washington and seen the mess they can make! oy! with the thornless kinds at least you have a chance of surviving trying to get rid of them. in the east there is Kudzu.

with us recently it is thistles - i just had to weed a bunch of seedlings out of the bean garden i was in harvesting the last of the dry beans. blow ins from the south field - don't get me started... i'm likely do some swearin'...

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@flowerbug read thru anthrive . Very informative, interesting and admire all your interests. It certainly does add a great deal of passion expressed , depth and complexity .👍

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Wouldn’t it be nice if all the animals that visit my garden ate all the weeds. Never found a dead animal though with spot spraying. I rather do that than end up with acres of mole gopher mounds and 100’s of dollars of lost plants / veggies.👍
Wouldn't it be nice if my ponies ATE the young burdock?!?!?

Latest posts