What are you canning now?

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Many moons ago canning was a big deal in my neck of the woods. As time passed it’s still missed but not forgotten.

Ice box pickles , dill pickles was always popular. So was freezing fruits and veggies if the lasted that long. Usually eaten fresh.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I started pressure canning broth BIG TIME, when I was trying to tempt the appetite of my 16yo dog (Pyg, 2007-2023, RIP).
I have canned:
beef broth
chicken broth
turkey broth
duck broth
pork broth
*vegetable broth
ANY kind of meat that supplies me with some bones, Last batch were with frozen t bone steak bones and they had a small amount of beef on them. VERY rich broth!
In fact, I just started a batch of *vegetable broth in my 2nd crock pot. I don't want to burn up the really nice crock pot that has a lock on lid and is fancier. I asked for the cheaper one for Christmas last year and I am going to ask Sister in Law, who doesn't KNOW what to buy me, for another one.
When I make broth I cook on HIGH for up to 5 days in a row, depending upon what I am making, and time constraints bc you have to eke out the time to Pressure Can.
Usually, I can (which is a misnomer bc you cook/store in glass JARS,) in the evening, move the canner off of the burner and leave it to remove until the next morning.
The smaller cheapo crock pot makes 6 pints, and with broth you can top off with some water if you are a little bit shy.
Today's batch has celery, onions, carrot scrapings, garlic and a pint's worth of stored dried peas that I have kept too long. Freed up one of my very old glass jars with the glass tops that I inherited.
Looks like this:
1723480473580.png

The cooking leaches out all sorts of interesting flavors.
Eldest DD (Chef) said that she loves the vegetable broth I made earlier this year, but is now out, thus this batch.
Hard to SMELL it bc both DD's ordered DH to make his very popular beef jerky, now cooking in the new Excalibur--thanks to all of you here who recommended it!--and it will bake down for a few days. It's ALL I smell in the kitchen today, instead of the broth.
Eldest DD has the recipe and they added 1/2 bottle of the crappy wine that they bought in SD last summer that nobody wants to drink, So bad that my "alcohol, any port in a storm" doesn't apply.
I know that the broth is ready to can when I have to add 1/2 inch of water to it.
If I want a bigger batch I will also use the other crock pot bc my pressure canner can handle up to 14 pints at one time.
Yesterday, when I canned the beef broth I used a pint's worth to slow cook first the carrots and potatoes in the morning--which is why I had carrot scrapings--then the onions and garlic, then, an hour later, the Sirloin Tip Roast went in and all cooked for another 5 hours.
I froze the leftover broth, so DD will have 6 pints after all.
Dinner was perfect, and I get the leftovers for today's lunch.
Since I have recently boiled down and burned HD eggs, it is a good thing for me to use a slow cooker.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
5 pints of vegetable broth cooling in the pressure canner. When I went to the big freezer to restock hamburger for DD's freezer (for our meals,) I saw the great amount of soup bones, which are big bones with shreds of beef clinging to them, so I brought enough in to start 2 crock pots tonight of more beef broth. They are defrosting on a steak tray in the cold oven.
I should be able to can 14 pints by the end of the weekend, 8 from larger better quality crock pot, 6 from smaller cheapo crock pot, which is a Rival, just bottom of the barrel one, max for my pressure canner.
The cheapo crock pot gets NO BREAKS and is currently moaning.

Last edited:

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was a first timer at the Canning and dehydration division of the fair. I entered four jars. I had no idea that I'd be receiving REAL ribbons, much less a check! I wasn't the top person/jars by a long shot. But it was fun. The check covers the Garlic Fries I bought at the Fair!!
View attachment 67830
That sounds super fun! What did you enter in the jars?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I DID and sometimes still do. Certainly Eva gets to lick all bowls, etc, to help me clean them up. I first made broth to give my 16yo dog (Pyg, 2007-2023, RIP) an appetite to eat her food.
DD was buying broth, always in quarts, and only using a pint's worth, so I started canning it.
Today's batch is bc I noticed that several beef bones were out of the packaging getting freezer burn.
Can't taste it, but the crock pots cooked for several days straight on high and leached out all beef flavor.
Needs salt...

Latest posts