What are you canning now?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nineteen jars yesterday and there will be another 6 today. I must say I like the small batches better than the huge harvests also...makes me feel like I'm getting more done. :gig

I'm running out of shelf room, though, and we haven't even gotten to apple and meat harvests yet. I'm going to have to do some shufflin' here and there to put this stuff away in a neat manner. Not a bad thing, though, to think about it...running out of room because you have too much food put by for the winter.

I should have plenty to share with others when the snow flies.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
dw did 2 canners worth of beans today....
DSC_0011.JPG

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's definitely green bean time and those look really good!!! :thumbsup I'm not a big bean eater...I wish I liked them more...but they are so easy to can that I'm surprised more people don't do it.

I'm doing green beans tonight also... and rabbit. The rabbit smells delicious! We have taken to canning our green beans up in pints now as I don't eat them and Mom can't consume a qt. in enough time before it goes to waste. My grandbaby uses "bean beans" as her favorite finger food, so a pint is perfect for her and her great granny to share.

I saw a pic of green beans canned into pts that were left whole and it was really pretty, so these few jars I'm doing were done that way....I'll post a pic of them when done. Artistic canning...who knew? :D

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
if the store has lids dw is doing a canner of pints... she pointed out the children are not always home to have dinner with us, but when they are home for dinner a quart is gone...we do a lot of soups, stews, casseroles that we add the beans into over the winter so the quarts come in handy.

last weekend we sauteed some beans in butter and garlic those were some of the best we ever had..

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's how we do our corn. We had almost decided to put it up in pints this year but it was just too much effort and fussiness to do it in that manner, but sometimes we'll open a jar for us two or to put into soup and not use the whole jar...later we will find it went bad in the fridge and we hate that.

BUT, there are more times than that we use a whole quart of corn, so the quarts won out.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
15 quarts of pears, 5 pints and 2 pint-and-a-halfs of salsa, and 2 pints of pear sauce.
The pear sauce was an experiment. The pears in my second box were more ripe than the first box, and after I had picked out the firmest for pear quarters, and gotten heartily tired of peeling, I decided to turn the rest into sauce.
Dh cored them with an apple corer and I sliced them skins and all on the mandolin, then put them in the crock pot for the rest of the night and all day today. They cooked down nicely and I canned them tonight. We sampled what was left in the pot and pronounced it delicious, and a keeper. We cored and sliced the remainder and got another crock pot full and it's cooking down tonight. I'm so happy with it, it's so simple. Just pears, no water, no sugar, but has a faintly caramely taste, the skins just disappear too.

I love canning!