What Did You Do In The Garden?

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Removed the first planting of bush beans. The second is developing pods and harvesting can start next week.

After the plants were removed, I dug out the soil in the bed. There was lots of oxalis under the bean plants. I dug out the soil to about 8 inches and did my best to return it to the trench with the top few inches going in first. Oxalis can be smothered even though it is really tuff to pull those little weeds by hand.

Before any soil went back in, I had a fair amount of nearly-finished compost (& a couple of buckets of kitchen scraps) to put in, along with the bean plants. Turns out, there was an advantage to having so much sod to compost this Spring ;). This was a new bed where nothing was added so far, other than a little soil from the path. I was pleased that it was so easy to dig out to that depth and I encountered almost no tree roots.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
weeded the upper part of the north garden. it wasn't too bad but it's about 400 square feet and i weeded it by knife instead of scraping because i didn't want to spread weed seeds around from some spotted spurge and i didn't want to give the purslane any more reasons to root even more plants. each of those leaves you knock off and leave on the surface can regrow along with any seeds or bits of stem.

well anyways, that's done just in time for the heat of the day to arrive. pretty humid out there too... rest of the day will be indoor stuff including a break which i get to take right now, but i'll be giving a garden tour for a while after a friend arrives for a visit.

at least i also got my room somewhat cleaned up. not completely, but good enough, it's bean harvest season so working around all the bags and flats of beans drying or in storage for shelling didn't make it go easier.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
weeded the upper part of the north garden. it wasn't too bad but it's about 400 square feet and i weeded it by knife instead of scraping because i didn't want to spread weed seeds around from some spotted spurge and i didn't want to give the purslane any more reasons to root even more plants. each of those leaves you knock off and leave on the surface can regrow along with any seeds or bits of stem.

well anyways, that's done just in time for the heat of the day to arrive. pretty humid out there too... rest of the day will be indoor stuff including a break which i get to take right now, but i'll be giving a garden tour for a while after a friend arrives for a visit.

at least i also got my room somewhat cleaned up. not completely, but good enough, it's bean harvest season so working around all the bags and flats of beans drying or in storage for shelling didn't make it go easier.
We have a lot of buttercup here - especially in lawns. I never use pesticides so I pull them by hand. You have to dig all the way down and get the root or they come right back! It's a big pain in the butt!

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Brought in and prepped all the potted plants to put inside the greenhouse. The temps are cooling down in the 50F tonight.
Set a lot of garden tools up and cleaned for winter storage.
Cleaned up annual pots . Mowed the garden lawns .
Pulled the amaryllis bulbs up from their pots cut the foliage . Will set up in new pots in late Oct for blooms for the holidays.
Trimmed a few small shrubs . Still in a major war the ground squirrels . Little buggers.
Used Clorox and dish soap to clean the flagstone paths. The past few days.
It’s been rainy 3 days . El Niño has arrived meaning colder winter and lots of rain.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a lot of buttercup here - especially in lawns. I never use pesticides so I pull them by hand. You have to dig all the way down and get the root or they come right back! It's a big pain in the butt!

we do have buttercup and a few other weeds that can run around the lawn all they want, it doesn't bother me. the ones i try to remove are crabgrasses near garden edges or other weeds which might spread too much into the gardens. at the moment i have an entire edge of the north garden that has been invaded by crab grasses, grasses and other weeds that i need to remove, but until there is something else to replace those weeds with (a neighboring planting of thyme is gradually moving that ways) it's rather pointless to keep weeding it to only have it get overrun again. maybe by next year or the year after it will be the other way (the thyme taking over the neighboring grassy area which i wouldn't mind at all)...

i have weeded daisies and Creeping Charlie and other mints out of the lawn but i hope i don't have to do too much of that any more. Mom has been pretty good about deadheading the daisies and i did eradicate the Creeping Charlie.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Same here lots of weeds also dandelions galore. Not to mention several types of moss . The weeds I totally eliminate in the lawn and pastures is clover which attracts gophers. Keeping weeds down also discourages moles and voles by trimming close to the surface helps the resident hawks with ground critters .

There is also a bobcat that hunts the area. I always keep a heads up literally when out and about. Saw him yesterday he is a young bobcat all legs. He has been pawing at he dirt mounds and hunts the quail around the outer perimeter of the pastures. So important to keep the pastures mowed . Just keeping the lawn mowed helps keep the weeds down after an application of weed spray formulated and recommended by the University of Oregon horticultural division for pasture weed control. Many weeds are poisonous to livestock. I use the same product for the pastures . The only weed that is supper annoying is spurge.
I use a 12 gallon battery op sprayer . Repeat as necessary thruout the season.

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Same here lots of weeds also dandelions galore. Not to mention several types of moss . The weeds I totally eliminate in the lawn and pastures is clover which attracts gophers. Keeping weeds down also discourages moles and voles by trimming close to the surface helps the resident hawks with ground critters .

There is also a bobcat that hunts the area. I always keep a heads up literally when out and about. Saw him yesterday he is a young bobcat all legs. He has been pawing at he dirt mounds and hunts the quail around the outer perimeter of the pastures. So important to keep the pastures mowed . Just keeping the lawn mowed helps keep the weeds down after an application of weed spray formulated and recommended by the University of Oregon horticultural division for pasture weed control. Many weeds are poisonous to livestock. I use the same product for the pastures . The only weed that is supper annoying is spurge.
I use a 12 gallon battery op sprayer . Repeat as necessary thruout the season.
Can you post a picture of the buttercup weeds? I'm trying to figure out what types of weeds I have. I know I have crabgrass but I don't know anything else.