What Did You Do In The Garden?

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of the buttercup weeds? I'm trying to figure out what types of weeds I have. I know I have crabgrass but I don't know anything else.
This is what my buttercup weeds look like. This pic is off of the Internet because currently I have recently weeded my yard and there aren't any left! Yay!
They are pretty by themselves, but they can take over lawns and gardens. If you don't pull them out by the roots they will always return quickly and choke out everything else!

Attachments

• creeping_buttercup_flower_leaves_crop.JPG
    creeping_buttercup_flower_leaves_crop.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 6

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is what my buttercup weeds look like. This pic is off of the Internet because currently I have recently weeded my yard and there aren't any left! Yay!
They are pretty by themselves, but they can take over lawns and gardens. If you don't pull them out by the roots they will always return quickly and choke out everything else!
Thank you for the picture. I don't think I have any of that but dang it if I don't have a bunch of weeds

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the picture. I don't think I have any of that but dang it if I don't have a bunch of weeds

the rabbits actually do a lot of weeding of the lawn here, i also discourage weeds from growing by mowing the lawn fairly tall (nearly the highest setting the mower allows). only places that get disturbed or along edges get weeds going in them (and then they spread to the neighboring gardens or more into the lawn).

it's been so dry here lately i don't think we'll need to mow again for a while.

i got back out for some more dry bean picking today. it was getting too hot and so i'm done for now. later on i'll go back out and pick some more green peppers so Mom can make another batch of stuffed peppers.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@akroberts , your question prompted me to look for a source for IDing garden weeds. Years ago, Virginia Tech's Cooperative Extension had a good set of webpages but then, they began using horticultural terms for the search. Most gardeners, including me, do not have that training and knowledge.

The University of California have long had a great resource in CalPhotos for pictures of all sorts of plants. I wondered if the system would have some pages specializing in weeds. They do. And, it uses a nice, simple way to identify them. LINK

 BTW, i don't have any trouble ID'ing buttercups. I just have to look over in the neighbor's shady corner of her yard in the Springtime. Her buttercups offer something of a nice balance to my lawn violets with both blooming about the same time ;).

Steve

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@akroberts , your question prompted me to look for a source for IDing garden weeds. Years ago, Virginia Tech's Cooperative Extension had a good set of webpages but then, they began using horticultural terms for the search. Most gardeners, including me, do not have that training and knowledge.

The University of California have long had a great resource in CalPhotos for pictures of all sorts of plants. I wondered if the system would have some pages specializing in weeds. They do. And, it uses a nice, simple way to identify them. LINK

 BTW, i don't have any trouble ID'ing buttercups. I just have to look over in the neighbor's shady corner of her yard in the Springtime. Her buttercups offer something of a nice balance to my lawn violets with both blooming about the same time ;).

Steve
Thank you for the info. I will try to find the site and check it out.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The question is are we talking about native "weeds" or invasive plants.
In my study many native flowers and plants do not spread widely like invasives bc animals predate on them, and check their population.
When I was a child I looked at the empty lot next door--parents built a house in a newish neighborhood--and saw many queen anne's lace. I though it was a wildflower. I didn't know that it was an invasive flower, native to Great Britain. HERE is grows into small trees left unchecked, just like tree of paradise.
I wouldn't be too surprise to discover that other weeds on my property are also invasive.
Gotta pull em up if they are taking over.
There are better plants, like creeping phlox, which has taken years to take over the edge of my bed.