What the heck is going on with these berries?

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, so far nothing is fitting completely. I think I may just resort to hitting those vines with neem and cutting back on the watering and see what happens. If nothing else we can mow them down in the fall and start over.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Skeeter, have you tried cutting off one of the stems just below ground level then carefully slicing the stem open lengthwise to see if you can find anything in it like a borer? You'd also be able this way to see if it is rotten and where. Most fusariums show their rot right around ground level, that phytophthera rot more down in the roots...

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope you figure out what is happening with your patch. We have 2 rows of berries and the last three feet of row on the south end seem to fade out mid season, sorta look the same as yours do. Think I will go out and pull any that are struggling and get rid of them, if it is a desease I want to stop it from spreading. I hope a member comes alongs soon and hits on the answer. Till then we just use the suggestions that we have so far untill the mystery is solved...:)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After reading this thread, I noticed today my raspberries are curling up and dying. My spring crop is pretty much done so I start cleaning out the dead and finished canes. Today I realized my fall canes are curling up and dying now too!!!

I do believe we were got by the cane borer maggots. So bummed. Going out to cut and remove most of my canes. Not all are dead, but about 2/3 of my canes have obvious damage from the canes to the leaves. This has been a TERRIBLE season for most of my garden. Constant rain and more bugs that I've never dealt with before just showing up.

Skeeter, did you figure out the culprit for yours?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, turns out its blight. Like everything else that is happening with this darned weather, we got fungal diseases destroying EVERYTHING. I cut as many canes as I could. I still need to rake out all the dead leaves... but of course, another storm came through and we're being walloped! Grrrr I did find a little borer damage, but it was in old long gone canes I never even noticed because I have so many canes in our raspberry beds. I'm so bummed.

Latest posts