When do you harvest Jerusalem artichoke?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Jerusalem artichokes are huge! They're starting to fall over, but it's hard to tell if that's because of this ridiculous weather (hot and dry, once again I can't remember when it rained last, though we are not as bad off as those further west) or because they're getting ready. They're still growing and blooming, even if they have to bend 90 degrees to head upward again from a fallen stalk.

I'm in middle west Georgia for comparison.

When do you harvest your Jerusalem artichokes?

-Wendy

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never actually "harvested" my JA. I did dig some up to see how I liked them.... lets just say that they were remarkably
unremarkable. But I could eat them willingly if neccesary :) . I should try pickling some, did I read that on here? Can't remember.

Anyway, the way you're supposed to harvest them is when the foliage dies down, and they're best after a frost.
I store mine in the ground :p so now my patch is HUGE, and I'll be digging and replanting around different parts of the garden and yard this fall.

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thistlebloom has it exactly right! If you want bigger plants with more blooms then they should be thinned out heavily every year. And yes the tubers are remarkably unremarkable, but it is a beautiful plant. :)

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's just a tall stalk with a little sunflower on top?? Not all that ornamental... (I don't eat them either.)

I will have to post the recipe for artichoke relish! It's been in the family for generations, and people in my husband's family fight over jars of the stuff -- that's why we grow them. :)

-Wendy

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That relish recipe would be great! I tried them many different ways but raw seemed best. Mixed with other ingredients would definately help with that "unique" flavor. Thanks. :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They can be tasty if prepared right. JA are one of those veggies that absorb other tastes. try them this way. Scrub them with a veggie brush. That will remove the thin skin. Prepare them right away as they brown fast once scrubbed. Steam lightly, just long enough to get them hot through. Toss with a pat of garlic butter. Use salt and pepper to taste. Just before serving toss them again with chopped parsley or cilantro.

Latest posts