Winterizing roses?

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year I lost rose bushes. They seemed to have survived the winter (usda zone 7). They sprouted and I cut back all the dead. They grew a little then we got a cold snap over a couple days and nights, well below freezing at night (hard freeze). Then new sprouts died and so did the entire Bush, even the roots were dead :( such a sad story I know...

But I replaced the roses and have been babysitting them and they have grown huge and are beautifully healthy. I don't want to loose these ones over winter. My wife is happy with them and the colors I picked out for her.

I'm asking for some guidance on overwintering roses and timing on pruning specifically. I know I need to cut them back and cover them but with what and when? Should I time cutting back to the first expected frost? When should I uncover them? As you can tell I'm pretty clueless.

I'm not new to growing roses. I've always had roses growing for my wife and I dont recall ever having lost any like what happened early this spring. I have them in a raised bed on the west side of the house in close proximity to a brick porch, which retains heat from the setting sun. The roses really seem to like where they are at.

Thanks for responding, I really appreciate it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the variety of the rose matters, some are grafted and you know what that means. as for pruning before winter i used to cut back some but not all the way to whatever was recommended as i knew some damage would still happen over the winter. it seemed that no matter what i did though i would lose a few plants each year and have to replace them.

where i am at now is about as inhospitable to the more delicate rose varieties as it can possibly be, but we have a few rescues that seem to be holding on - i don't even know what they are as they could be what came up as suckers on the plants we put in at my brother's place and then removed.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
First, do NOT prune anything alive! I have the same issue. Blackberry thorns have overtaken my lovely yellow knockout, and a lot has died back.
I am cutting a small hole in a used distilled water plastic gallon jug and tying it to the rose and giving it drip irrigation for leaf growth.
I will be HEAVILY mulching it with straw for this winter.
If it doesn't make it, I will have done everything that I can do.

Latest posts