Zeedman said ...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm still alive & lurking occasionally, but the weather & my personal life have not been kind to me this year. I'm only today (!!!) putting in my Phase 3 garden - which is no seed crops, no sweet corn, and nothing harvested mature. No trials or experiments, no plan, just plopping things into the ground & hoping to get something edible I can freeze for the winter. That, and hoping for a late Fall.

The only good news is this year's garlic crop. I dug the rocambole & artichoke varieties a couple days ago, and they are huge (I'll post photos at some point). The artichoke varieties ripened much earlier than usual & rain delayed the harvest, so some bulbs had split open... but no sprouting.

The volunteer black raspberry is doing well, I've harvested several hands full of berries; and to judge by how rapidly its spreading, it should be a small patch next year. Lots of babies where the canes touched the ground & rooted, I'll moce some of those to a fence line I've cleared.

But many of the friends & family I've shared vegetables with in the past have either moved or drifted away. I've lost too many family & friends in just the last 3 years, and just can't seem to catch my balance between losses. Without my Garden Angel, I'm losing my enthusiasm for gardening. I'm not throwing in the towel just yet, but waiting to see what next year brings.

Just came in to cool off, back to planting.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm still alive & lurking occasionally, but the weather & my personal life have not been kind to me this year. I'm only today (!!!) putting in my Phase 3 garden - which is no seed crops, no sweet corn, and nothing harvested mature. No trials or experiments, no plan, just plopping things into the ground & hoping to get something edible I can freeze for the winter. That, and hoping for a late Fall.

The only good news is this year's garlic crop. I dug the rocambole & artichoke varieties a couple days ago, and they are huge (I'll post photos at some point). The artichoke varieties ripened much earlier than usual & rain delayed the harvest, so some bulbs had split open... but no sprouting.

The volunteer black raspberry is doing well, I've harvested several hands full of berries; and to judge by how rapidly its spreading, it should be a small patch next year. Lots of babies where the canes touched the ground & rooted, I'll moce some of those to a fence line I've cleared.

But many of the friends & family I've shared vegetables with in the past have either moved or drifted away. I've lost too many family & friends in just the last 3 years, and just can't seem to catch my balance between losses. Without my Garden Angel, I'm losing my enthusiasm for gardening. I'm not throwing in the towel just yet, but waiting to see what next year brings.

Just came in to cool off, back to planting.
Life has been so tough and rapidly changing these past 4 years for all of us here in my area
Many have died and others have become ill. Even my robust neighbour had mini strokes a few weeks ago. I can't count how many have had heart attacks and strokes. In saying that, we here have survived. So please don't give up

I can honestly understand the pressures you are under. Even though I do not know the details

What is amazing to me is how others are thriving.. I was pleasantly surprised to see a couple of elderly ladies that do not look their age and have very little in the way of health issues.

Let's hope life turns around for the better for all of us soon.

A little quote...
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn".

:hugs

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This thread speaks to me. I have far more dead friends and relatives than living ones, and losing my husband 5 years ago has left me with no one on earth who truly loves me except for my two dogs. Fortunately I am a recluse by nature, but my gardening activity has undergone changes, and I find myself abandoning more of my land to nature as time passes. I guess we are all gardeners at heart though and will continue to be as long as we're able in some capacity at least.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This thread speaks to me. I have far more dead friends and relatives than living ones, and losing my husband 5 years ago has left me with no one on earth who truly loves me except for my two dogs. Fortunately I am a recluse by nature, but my gardening activity has undergone changes, and I find myself abandoning more of my land to nature as time passes. I guess we are all gardeners at heart though and will continue to be as long as we're able in some capacity at least.
:hugs
plus you have your friends here.
There's nothing as good as animals for company in my books.

I have been on my own for many years as far as human beings are concerned, but never feel alone amongst my animals

Latest posts