2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you Blue_Jay . All your beautiful pics of beans brings out the crafty side in me. I have been known to glue different color, sizes of beans to a canvas to make pictures with the kids for fun. And plant a few to show how fast they grow. Good old Jack in the Beanstalk.

Hornad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Desert Song beans have very pretty pods,
IMG_8544.jpeg

I am very happy with how early blue moro matured. (I have them drying in egg cartons so that I can keep the individual plants separate until fully dried)
IMG_8546.jpeg

I grew rattlesnake beans. I love how easy they are to see against the green leaves and green vines. One plant produced darker pods that I think I will save seeds from
IMG_8545.jpeg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Took some more pod pictures today.

There are sooo many pods on network bean Nickell I sampled one teeny green pod today, and it was DELICIOUS. Please forgive me! The pods are a bit slow to start drying, but I've still got some time. Once the bean plants switch gears to maturing bean seeds I find things can start to go pretty fast. Love this variety, and it's name is the nickname of my city.
IMG_9498.JPG

Network bean North Carolina - such a pretty bean! Speckled pods make me swoon. 🥴
IMG_9407.JPG

I've had this bean in storage for a year, it was gifted to me by a lady who regularly requests seed. I wish the pods were not growing under the canopy so they would have been in full sun for better color. They look on the young side, so I think as they age they'll probably get more yellow just like 'Galopka' did. These certainly are true to their name - 'Sultan's Golden Crescent'.
IMG_9451.JPG

Network bean Blue Spit Ball; pods are maturing nicely thank goodness. A couple pods have fully dried and the beans are very nice, they remind me of Fort Portal Jade beans, only in blue. What a fantastic bean, thank you so much for adding it to my list at the last minute @Blue-Jay!

IMG_9508.JPG

This was totally unexpected - the 'Pragerhoff' a.ka 'Blue Slovenian' bean pods are absolutely enormous, a bit like 'Youdou' beans. Could be crossed seed. I really would like to have some true seeds of this variety so I hope the vines can catch up and mature in time. The seeds mature to a powdery baby blue with a hint of the lightest beige.

IMG_9478.JPG

'Senyorita' pods, a variety I believe that originates in Spain. Spanish beans for me have either been super early or super late, these fall somewhere in between. The plants have been so vigorous since planting.
IMG_9444.JPG

Lovely pods of 'Gottscheer'. I cannot find a single bit of information about this bean, though I believe at one time I was able to. Clearly it's a German bean, but aside from that I'll need to start digging. 🕵️‍♂️ Unless anyone else has grown it?
IMG_9482.JPG

This is 'Cumberland Heritage'. I seem to recall that someone once mentioned this bean was previously called 'Chinese Long' and it got re-named for some reason. Maybe it was locally grown in one place for along time and they felt it adapted and changed slightly, I'm not sure. It's a very tasty bean, the pods are quite slim and thin. I have more seeds for it so I'm actually feeling like eating them all and just growing more plants next year.
IMG_9421.JPG

Rosso di Lucca bush bean, for a direct seeded row it has done pretty well. I think the seed harvest will be good judging by the pod set.🤞 The upcoming week will be a scorcher and I think they'll be enough heat units to move these along to where they need to be for this time of year.
IMG_9496.JPG

Network bean Petit Gris, very dainty little pods. The vines are somewhat diminutive too, but the pod set is fairly good for a bad year.
IMG_9502.JPG

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
oh yeah, time to start getting more dry beans picked. a lot of the earliest ones are done enough to make going through picking worth it... it's a good time for it since i need to go through all the gardens again anyways so this is normally what happens as it gets towards the end of the season. i'm harvesting and weeding and getting gardens cleaned up as i get patches of them finished and ready for w*nt*r...

Hornad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
IMG_8557.jpeg

One plant that I thought was Desert Song produced pretty yellow beans. The only yellow bean that the supplier grows is Nez Pierce so this bush bean either has Nez Pierce as a grand parent or is 100% Nez Pierce.

Darren Abbey says that you can get blue beans by crossing a yellow with a black or purple bean. I'm going to try crossing this with beefbush black to see if I can get blue or green

Last edited:

Latest posts