2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We are on day one of a heatwave, 30C/86F, and between the dryness and the heat, lower hanging pods on the pole beans are just starting to trickle in. The last few bush beans are just starting to turn color and dry up as well. The longest season bean this year is a 3 way tie between Slavonski Zeleni, Paulchen and Ocean View. Cannelinni Nero is taking it's sweet time too, but I picked the first couple dried pods from it today.
IMG_9592.JPG

Paulchen bush bean. Love the color combination of this bean, it's like a Dapple Pink! 💗I think Dapple Grey might even be the mother seed for it.
IMG_9558.jpg

Network bean Harvey's White Haricot. Coming along. Hope the next week speeds it up.
IMG_9429 (1).JPG

I thought these drying/swelling pods were an interesting color 'Fesol Afartapobres'. The young pods were green and as they age they turn this color. The European Cooperative Programme for Plant Genetic Resources says this about it: "Traditional landrace of bean from Vall Fosca, in the Lleida region of Pallars Jussà, registered in the municipality of La Torre de Cabdella."
IMG_9439.JPG

Italian bean Bobis 'd'Albenga. The packet for these called it a pole bean, but most of what I turn up online by this name is a bush bean. This plant grew as a bush, but it didn't grow well so I can't judge this year it's true growth type.
IMG_9410 (1).JPG

Hunsrucker Weisse pole bean. A German local variety from Sulzbach near Rhaunen -Rheinland-Pflaz, according to Bohnen Atlas. It's a snap bean, they're like asparagus spears!.
IMG_9448 (2).JPG

I'm growing this year Anakin Kuvali Giant and I am surprised that the vines actually are this short - middle pole. Saxon & Posena on each side are both significantly taller. I wonder if this is the normal height? It's about 5 feet.
IMG_9334.JPG

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Italian bean Bobis 'd'Albenga. The packet for these called it a pole bean, but most of what I turn up online by this name is a bush bean. This plant grew as a bush, but it didn't grow well so I can't judge this year it's true growth type.
I’m growing Bobis d’Albenga this season too and it’s definitely been a bush bean here.
For me it was early but has kept producing and doesn’t seem to want to dry down yet.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hello!
I haven't been able to access the forum website for a while. At first I thought it was temporary, but when it lasted a bit longer I wrote to @Blue-Jay and @heirloomgal . It turned out that they can enter the forum without any problems. @heirloomgal sent a message about my situation to Nifty and I'm back. I see I have some reading to catch up on.

My beans are still growing, although not all the varieties on the list, because I lost some. Semi and half-runners that were growing on a small slope were literally washed away during one of the storms. Only Tinker's Fire and Tarahumara Bakamina survived. From pole beans I lost Tuvagliedda, Tuvagliedda Nera, Myrtle Allen, Ruth Bible, Caramel Delight and Floreta. I still have their seeds, so I'll try next year.

Is it just me that the weather is getting crazier every year? I don't remember such heat in Poland, which started in April, nor such violent storms and hailstorms. I'm afraid to think what will happen next year

On the other hand, during such heat, the pods dry beautifully on the bushes. I have already harvested almost all the bush beans, the aforementioned Tinker's Fire and the pole Lengua de Lobo and Rosso del Cadore. These are the earliest pole beans I have had so far. I am waiting for the harvest of the next varieties.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is it just me that the weather is getting crazier every year? I don't remember such heat in Poland, which started in April, nor such violent storms and hailstorms. I'm afraid to think what will happen next year
Since 2012 we have had extended hot and dry periods each summer with rain very lacking in April. April should be a very wet month here. This year has been more like a summer I remember back in the 1960's and 70's. April rains were good and so were the rains in May, June and July very regular. This month August has been the driest month this summer. It does seem the weather is getting more out of it's normal range. However I think once in awhile we will still see good a season.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Summer Bean Show 2024 Vol. #21

@Pulsegleaner sent me a lima that looks just like Bean #55 said to be from Libia, but I think this bean is from Brazil. Just love the colors and patterns on all these beans. However I'm still very satisfied with what I've already got.

Brazilian Bean #51.jpgBrazilian Bean #52.jpg
Bean #51................................................................Bean #52

Brazilian Bean #53.jpgBrazilian Bean #54.jpg
Bean #53................................................................Bean #54

Brazilian Bean #55.jpgBrazilian Bean #56.jpg
Bean #55................................................................Bean #56

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lovely pods of 'Gottscheer'. I cannot find a single bit of information about this bean, though I believe at one time I was able to. Clearly it's a German bean, but aside from that I'll need to start digging. 🕵️‍♂️ Unless anyone else has grown it?
IMG_9482.JPG

Gottscheeer Strankalan (three e's are the correct spelling) is a historic bean cultivated already in the times of the Habsburg Empire by the German-speaking community in Gottschee in the Carniola region in present-day Slovenia.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Paulchen bush bean. Love the color combination of this bean, it's like a Dapple Pink! 💗I think Dapple Grey might even be the mother seed for it.
View attachment 68169

this color/pattern showed up for me as a result of planting Monster (which was an outcross in Dapple Gray) along with many others. i didn't know there was already a named variety for this one, i've just been calling them Dapple Pink.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

in recent years it is rare for us to have a long soaking gentle rain - instead it has been more short downpours. the heat has been longer and we've had a few prolonged droughts, but gladly we do have a well so i can keep plants growing.

yes, during these dry spells the pods come out very nice. i will be out picking this week once we get through the next few hot days.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Summer Bean Show 2024 Vol. #21

@Pulsegleaner sent me a lima that looks just like Bean #55 said to be from Libia, but I think this bean is from Brazil. Just love the colors and patterns on all these beans. However I'm still very satisfied with what I've already got.

View attachment 68177View attachment 68178
Bean #51................................................................Bean #52

View attachment 68179View attachment 68180
Bean #53................................................................Bean #54

View attachment 68181View attachment 68182
Bean #55................................................................Bean #56
Liberia, not Libya. And the ones I sent were reddish or brownish, not tan.

ruralmamma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This has been the dryest summer on record in over 60 years. Our county was recently upgraded to extreme drought status a few days ago. One variety of beans I didn't water are now dried up. Forecast predicts high humidity and temperatures up to 100° this week. I did some late planting and have some just flowering and starting to produce, so can't withhold water just yet. Not your typical West Virginia weather.

Latest posts