2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

ruralmamma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It's going to 2C/36F tonight!! :barnie
I'm just going to be positive and believe everything will be JUST FINE. Ha! 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Hope you and the beans made it through the night unscathed. Dropped to 38F here last night. Thankfully nighttime temps are to warm back up again. I dug out all my frost sheets but am very unprepared.

Love that drying rack! :love

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's going to 2C/36F tonight!! :barnie
It was 42 F 5.55 C here Sunday morning. It's going to 80 F 26 C here today, heirloomgal if you can survive tonight without any frost. We are going to have a good run of 80's predicted to run all the way to September 18th and I'll bet that warm air is coming your way too.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal I just noticed your green house is made from the same material mine is from a pic posted. How long have you had it? Mine has lasted for 30 years.
Also wanted to comment on your beautiful garden and so many interesting types of beans. Who knew there were so many. It’s very interesting to learn about the many beans you have cultivated this season.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hope you and the beans made it through the night unscathed. Dropped to 38F here last night. Thankfully nighttime temps are to warm back up again. I dug out all my frost sheets but am very unprepared.

Love that drying rack! :love
Thanks! Wow, it got really cold where you are too!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal I just noticed your green house is made from the same material mine is from a pic posted. How long have you had it? Mine has lasted for 30 years.
Also wanted to comment on your beautiful garden and so many interesting types of beans. Who knew there were so many. It’s very interesting to learn about the many beans you have cultivated this season.
Thanks! The greenhouse exterior material we imported from a company in Oregon! I don't recall the name of it, but this stuff was sold on rolls. DH created a blueprint and built the frame 10 years ago, then decided to try this stuff out. I was a bit worried as we had no experience with such a new material and knew nobody using it. We're very impressed with how well it's ageing. As you know, greenhouses take a lot of environmental pressure with all the heat and humidity so it's doing great with no signs of deterioration.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks! The greenhouse exterior material we imported from a company in Oregon! I don't recall the name of it, but this stuff was sold on rolls. DH created a blueprint and built the frame 10 years ago, then decided to try this stuff out. I was a bit worried as we had no experience with such a new material and knew nobody using it. We're very impressed with how well it's ageing. As you know, greenhouses take a lot of environmental pressure with all the heat and humidity so it's doing great with no signs of deterioration.

It does hold up well thru wind ice storms and torrential rain.
I think what gives these greenhouse longevity is the pvc pipes also contains metal bars.
We just bought a kit.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I transferred most of my 12 ft poles in the carport to my bean rack today; I moved the drying Rosso di Lucca bush beans there too, onto the top tier. I was disheartened to realize during this moving process that this bean variety has slim, high tension pods that literally burst open and scatter seed when crispy dry! I lost over a dozen pods to shatter in the grass, which is a lot considering I only had a dozen plants. This tendency surprises me because it's a bean for dry use, and only half the pods on the plants were dry, and many weren't even rock hard dry. The few super dry ones breaking open was not expected. So I post this as a warning to other Rosso di Lucca growers - the pods need to be watched carefully or you'll lose seeds!

IMG_0563 (1).JPG

Aside from that though - it was a GREAT day! Lots of sunshine, nice warm temperatures that, like you said @Blue-Jay, have arrived and will stay for what looks like 2 weeks - temperatures in the mid 80's!!!! Time to celebrate! It's going to be a fabulous autumn!!

:celebrate

Last edited:

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal , @Decoy1
I have not yet grown pole Mongeta del Ganxet and so I am reading with interest about your experiences with this bean. I plan to sow it next year. You write that it is a late bean so I will choose the Mongeta del Ganxet Xic ecotype, which is supposedly earlier than other Ganxets.