2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i got all of my flats and bags of picked beans gone through and put out some flats to extra dry in the sun and breeze yesterday (and i brought them back inside before any dew fell) so now i don't have to worry about any things rotting anyplace (without me knowing about it :) ). my room has about 15 partially filled paper bags of dry beans to shell out. i want to start on that right now, but i don't have that kind of time at the moment - well ok, maybe a small batch to get started. :) :) :)

the heaviest bag right now is the one of all the Yellow Eye that i kinda put together. there's likely some other beans in there too that had similar pods but it is ok, they'll get sorted out after shelling. i will probably save it for later to shell out because it is a lot and they are pretty firm pods.

as i am shelling i set aside seeds from pods that aren't as hard to shell out so they will be replanted some coming season. this way i gradually shift away towards more easy to shell beans. all of my bulk beans when i'm shelling i keep extra containers handy to put any beans in that are different enough to warrant replanting. i've already started with one tiny container for some brown pole beans that may be edible (they were this season :) ). i likely won't replant them but they can go into the seed swap samples...

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew Robert Lobitz's Paula bean this year. I got two kinds of pods. Some are thinner and rounder in cross-section, others are wider and more flattened. Which of them is the true Paula, does any of you know?
If the seed on both pods types are the same you might try keeping the seed of those pod types seperate and grow each one seperately and see if each one produces the same individual pod shape again. Might be they are slightlly different strains of the same bean or it might be a characteristic of the Paula.

If I am correct I think the old Heirloom bean Turkey Craw will always grow with two different pod types.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think you & I have a mind link when it comes to network beans @Artorius, you tend to make posts with beans that I have had my 👀's on - I've been thinking of growing Paula since my first network grow out! It's so pretty! It looks almost blue in your photo! 💙

ruralmamma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@Blue-Jay, are you interested in Network varieties that originated elsewhere? I'm hoping to harvest Mbombo in the next few weeks.

The only other variety that is on the network list is Blue Meerabarbe, and the packet notes on that one also refers to it at Nonna Agnes. You have them listed as separate varieties, so I'm hoping to request both of them for next year to compare.

And when does everyone send their requests? I've made a list of varieties of varieties I'd like to try but think I should probably wait for the updated list next year. Also is there a limit for new growers? I have the room but I'm also a relatively new member here so understand if there is a limit.

ruralmamma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Both of my dry bean mixes are maturing and each day's harvest brings new surprises. Trying to shell everything as soon as they're dry. I spent a few days shelling last winter but I'm hoping to move my seed starting set-up this winter and that's where I have the beans drying now.

Also wasn't it Turkey Craw that Bill Best mentioned as having a tendency to cross if given a chance? I'll have to find that video and rewatch it

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Blue-Jay, are you interested in Network varieties that originated elsewhere? I'm hoping to harvest Mbombo in the next few weeks.

The only other variety that is on the network list is Blue Meerabarbe, and the packet notes on that one also refers to it at Nonna Agnes. You have them listed as separate varieties, so I'm hoping to request both of them for next year to compare.

And when does everyone send their requests? I've made a list of varieties of varieties I'd like to try but think I should probably wait for the updated list next year. Also is there a limit for new growers? I have the room but I'm also a relatively new member here so understand if there is a limit.
I don't mind Network beans that originated somewhere else.

I get Network requests all different months of the year. There is usually a bigger uptick in Network requests starting in Novmeber. That's good especially for people who have longer seasons and who will plant earlier. I got a Network request from a California grower in July this year. They tell me they would plant sometime in August and the beans would mature when the weather cools down later in the year. I will probably be gone from home in February and March. I have a friend in Florida that I visit so no beans going out during those two months. You can if you want request beans now but you will miss the priority list in January. I have never put a limit on how many varieties a new grower can request to grow. I have only had three failed new growers in 12 seasons.

For return of new seed it's nice to receive them back by sometime in November. Bean seed should be plenty dry enough by after the middle of November to enclose in containers. I had a seed return from a Santa Anna, California grower in July of this year. The earliest seed return I have ever had. They had to have grown them during the winter to spring before it became to hot in that state. Interestingly I don't get many requests for Network bean from people in California.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Summer Bean Show 2024 Vol. #25

At one time I thought limas were somewhat limited in the number of colors and patterns. However with all the photos I've found of them it looks like they could be just as endless as P. Vulgaris beans.
I've never seen a purple lima like bean 91.

Bean 88 is a P. Vulgaris the rest are all limas.

Brazilian Bean #88.jpgBrazilian Bean #89.jpg
Bean 88.............................................................Bean 89

Brazilian Bean #90.jpgBrazilian Bean #91.jpg
Bean 90.............................................................Bean 91

Brazilian Bean #92.jpg
Bean 92

Brazilian Bean #93.jpg
Bean 93

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i did my 2nd pick through the first garden i planted yesterday, it took me about 15 minutes and there are a few plants remaining to finish (especially the Yed plants climbing up the fence on the end) that i didn't harvest yet, but even those plants are showing some pods going yellow already so some are going to finish enough for me after all. otherwise the garden is empty enough that i can get it ready for w*nt*r already.

then i shelled them out. some really nice beans in there. :)

i don't feel like dusting this morning so i'm going to shell out some more beans for a bit... :) :) :)

Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lots to do in the garden, but given that rain was in the forecast harvesting seed took priority. Dry pods of Harvester Mangiatutto, Znichka (yellow bush beans), and Valentino were collected. First time growing Valentino, and I was surprised to see that their pods dry down to a beautiful shade of coral pink.

Attachments

• IMG_20240909_134817562.jpg
    IMG_20240909_134817562.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240909_143817443.jpg
    IMG_20240909_143817443.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240909_140107013.jpg
    IMG_20240909_140107013.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 19

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cocaine Shelly beans are drying down nicely too. The one off-type plant that I am monitoring has produced pods with attractive purple streaks. I couldn't resist peeking inside one of them, and sure enough there is some purple on the seed as well. 💜

Attachments

• IMG_20240909_151454487.jpg
    IMG_20240909_151454487.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240909_151437150.jpg
    IMG_20240909_151437150.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 14