2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I asked DH to build me for my Mother's Day gift a new bean trellis, because, what else would I want? I saw a picture and said, what about this? 😁 Insuk's Kang Wong is planted at the feet for this year. I have no idea what the flowers are like, but I hope they're large! It's 6 x 8 so we can fit a gliding bench under, and hopefully enjoy the canopy by end of July.
IMG_7236.JPG
That should be really pretty when the Insuk's Wang Kong starts flowering. This is how they look in bloom:
100_0810.JPG

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That should be really pretty when the Insuk's Wang Kong starts flowering. This is how they look in bloom:
View attachment 66578
Gorgeous @Zeedman ! But I had some brain flatulence with that beans' name for some reason. I got all confused because my tags said 'Sakaguchi' and my memory said 'Something Wang Kong', (and I lost the packet it came in). SSE won't let me login for some reason with my password, so when I went to try and track down the fellow I received it from listing, I couldn't find it! So then I went googling and mistakenly came up with this Insuk name. BUT it turns out after an email exchange with my bean source he corrected my error and said the bean is called 'Sakaguchi Kang Wong'. Awhoops 🙃🙃🙃

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quick question here -- Are "Appaloosa" and "Vermont Appaloosa" the same thing?
I think the Vermont Appaloosa is different from Appaloosa. I've seen both of them traded around Seed Savers Exchange as far back and the 1980's

appaloosa.jpg
Appaloosa

vermontappaloosa.jpg
Vermont Appaloosa

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the Vermont Appaloosa is different from Appaloosa. I've seen both of them traded around Seed Savers Exchange as far back and the 1980's

View attachment 66597
Appaloosa

View attachment 66598
Vermont Appaloosa

i'd never seen a named Appaloosa bean like that top picture until i visited your website years ago. i've been growing Vermont Appaloosa since 2012. i'll have to amend my records... :/

when i ordered seeds from Vermont Bean Company i was getting 1/4lb or 1/2lb packages and sorting through them looking for odd beans to replant, so as soon as the 2012 growing season i'd already begun the half white bean lines (both Painted Pony and V Appaloosa provided most of those) and for sure had some golden speckled beans from those first packages. i didn't take notes or write them all down or even get pictures.

i'd also seen a lot of golden variations from all the different wax beans i'd grown and then also the Yellow Eyes. the yellow soldier bean i'd tried to get stable for years before finally running out of seeds to plant, but those spun off a large number of further variations.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I dunno if it's my imagination, but it seems like bean stuff is not moving. Maybe (probably) that's my impatience. We have had pretty good weather and just after setting transplants out we had a nice long, warm rain. It actually hasn't rained since so I've been watering them regularly. All rather ideal really, minus some cold nights. But still they seem to be just sitting there. If the plants had doors, I'd knock and ask if anybody is home.

There is a little thought in my mind though that is whispering to me a memory - that pole beans sit for a bit, and then get down to the business of taking over. A quiet before the burst. Most of the seeds I planted are up now, which is nice. I do see some new little leaves on the plants, so I can't say there has been no movement. Network bean 'North Carolina' is the winner for 1st climber.

I realized this week I made one pretty huge planting mistake 🫠 The precious Tytania bush bean seeds I had were accidentally planted all around a pole. No idea how I made that mistake! So.........now I must dig some up and plant elsewhere because they'll never make it in that pole forest. If only I had just one more little garden.....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I dunno if it's my imagination, but it seems like bean stuff is not moving. Maybe (probably) that's my impatience. We have had pretty good weather and just after setting transplants out we had a nice long, warm rain. It actually hasn't rained since so I've been watering them regularly. All rather ideal really, minus some cold nights. But still they seem to be just sitting there. If the plants had doors, I'd knock and ask if anybody is home.

There is a little thought in my mind though that is whispering to me a memory - that pole beans sit for a bit, and then get down to the business of taking over. A quiet before the burst. Most of the seeds I planted are up now, which is nice. I do see some new little leaves on the plants, so I can't say there has been no movement. Network bean 'North Carolina' is the winner for 1st climber.

it certainly is a cycle at first where the roots need to get more established to support the top growth. when i transplant the tomatoes and peppers too it takes several weeks before they seem to get going so i figure they are just drilling those roots out from the starts and once they get far enough then the top starts to head up more. also i do pinch off the peppers if there are any flowers starting right away so that has to heal up and then start growing again - it takes time.

the first beans i planted some time ago are probably going to be flowering in a week or two so they are about on track considering when they were planted and how many days it usually is before we get fresh beans. the peas come into flower about the same time.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought is would be fun to do some what I will call teaser posts. Photos of bean seeds from around the world that I have found that are interesting and some very beautiful. We will have some beans to look at until harvest time. Some of these beans are from South America and I don't know if they would ever grow in North America. Many of them have no names. People in South America simply collect and grow them anyway. We can all gasp and drool like I have for the last few days over these photos and maybe wish we had some beans that looked like some of these.

Bonellbas.jpg Brazilian Bean #1.jpg
Bonnellbas........................................................Brazilian Bean #1

Last edited:

Latest posts