2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought is would be fun to do some what I will call teaser posts. Photos of bean seeds from around the world that I have found that are interesting and some very beautiful. We will have some beans to look at until harvest time. Some of these beans are from South America and I don't know if they would ever grow in North America. Many of them have no names. People in South America simply collect and grow them anyway. We can all gasp and drool like I have for the last few days over these photos and maybe wish we had some beans that looked like some of these.

View attachment 66631 View attachment 66632
Bonnellbas........................................................Brazilian Bean #1
Ooh--- I love the splashy pink and purple Brazilian bean. Such fun colours! Bold and beautiful.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought is would be fun to do some what I will call teaser posts. Photos of bean seeds from around the world that I have found that are interesting and some very beautiful. We will have some beans to look at until harvest time. Some of these beans are from South America and I don't know if they would ever grow in North America. Many of them have no names. People in South America simply collect and grow them anyway. We can all gasp and drool like I have for the last few days over these photos and maybe wish we had some beans that looked like some of these.

Bonnellbas........................................................Brazilian Bean #1

Bonnellbas is very similar to the Bonel di Fonzaso pole bean from Veneto, Italy.

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Great idea. Do keep them coming!

That splashed tri-colour bean is amazing.

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bonnellbas is very similar to the Bonel di Fonzaso pole bean from Veneto, Italy.
Interesting. And wonderful if it’s like Bonnelbas, which I assume isn’t available and may not like northern conditions. I can’t find any reference to Bonel di Fonzaso although there is a society with that name, devoted to preserving Bonel beans. Can you say any more about Bonel beans and whether Bonel di Fonzaso is available in Europe?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting. And wonderful if it’s like Bonnelbas, which I assume isn’t available and may not like northern conditions. I can’t find any reference to Bonel di Fonzaso although there is a society with that name, devoted to preserving Bonel beans. Can you say any more about Bonel beans and whether Bonel di Fonzaso is available in Europe?
This was the name given with the photo. I don't think there was any information given about the bean. Just a photo.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had a wild storm last night, and big tree fell over at the back of garden! Luckily it went the other way, away from my plants and toward the bush. Everything is super well watered now, I can see that there were runoff currents marks and debris in the foot paths - so the paths were rushing with water. There was major lightning and thunder, the whole works. A single pole bean plant broke, and of all the ones it was Pragerhoff - so...heartbreak ensued. I was excited to get a supply of those. It was just 1 of 4 though, so 3 remain. The Mona Lisa beans are alright, any of those breaking would really have been a disappointment too. Well, I guess I don't want to lose any when it comes down to it!!!

Got the main bean garden amended today with azomite, alfalfa, kelp and chicken manure. Quite a bit left to amend in the other gardens, but it's a start. The plants are finally starting to adjust to being transplanted, and green up and leaf out. It was nice to see when I dug in the amendments around the plants that despite the storm and deluge last night the raised beds the beans are in were not wet, they were barely moist (but it was a real feel 102F /39 C degrees today). My plants are really able to drain well. The Tytania bush beans got transplanted too, I somehow found a few places where a plant would fit, and I also bought a few planters for them. :)

It's a wonderful time of year. And it's just the beginning! 💚

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm amazed at how many beans are flowering right now, the entire row of Porcelain beans are in bloom. Several of the pole beans have bloom buds too. But given that I think I planted most of these now flowering ones indoors in early May, they're close to 50 days old. So that is probably about right timing for blooming. I think I'm starting to narrow in on what the best timing is for indoor bean starts. Some were planted right on May 1st and I can see that those, because the plants are so large and even climbing a little, are waiting to grow their roots systems to catch up with the top growth. I think 2 to 2 1/2 weeks is just about what they need for a start.

A week or two ago I planted a few extra seeds in a 6 pack of a bean called Early Refuge, they took a bit longer than I expected to sprout but they did. In the end and I was able to find some spots for those extra plants too, which I'm glad about because it isn't a very common bean. It was one that @JackHalloway sent me. I planted a few Purple Dove beans in some spots a week ago too, and not everything came up (the seed vendor I got those from sold me pretty bad seeds for all species I requested from them) so I filled in those empty spots and counted my lucky stars that a few of the Purple Doves did ultimately sprout. That whole series of beans (Blooming Prairie, Purple Dove etc.) have such a unique coloring I'm tempted to try them all. :p

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

@Decoy1 here is some information about Bonel bean. The article is in Italian, but Uncle Google will definitely help you translate it :)

I have not seen this bean seeds in online stores. I have a few from swap.

Did you see the PM I sent you?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beans from around the world and many of them from Brazil. My summer bean show.
Brazilian bean #2 reminds a bit of Bosnian Pole in it's seed colors. The seed shape is
different

Brazilian Bean #2.jpgBrazilian Bean #3.jpg

Brazilian Bean #2.............................................Brazilian Bean #3