Bush
Paula
Fundy Amethyst
Paulchen
Nugetka
Peau de Vache Normande
Great Northern
Mulldoon
Karachaganak Bush (fourth year of stabilization)
Alice Sunshine
Tytania
Sweetwater
Golden Bear Lake
Shelleasy x Soldier
Soldier
Dakota Bumble (white seeds with black ring)
Wstęga
Muza (for green pods)
Ocean View outcross (fourth year of stabilization)

Lima beans
Dixie Speckled
Dr Martin
Snow on The Mountain
Florida Speckled

Runner beans
Policeman's Boots
Rhondda Black

I also planned Gunagei, but out of about 20 seeds, not a single one germinated. I broke down a bit
:(

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So fun to read everybody's lists!!!!! 😁 It's a learning experience!

It's big bean world out there!! I need to research some of these neat names I've never heard of!

eta: @Artorius please keep us posted on the status of Floreta, I'd love to know if you can get it to seed maturity. When I grew it, it barely got to the flowering stage! It's such a lovely bean.

Last edited:

colcol

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hi! Jumping in with list I'm growing. I kinda went nuts with a bean addiction this year. Many I was gifted only one to 3 seeds of. I don't plan on eating much, mainly collecting seeds to plant more of in future.
Blue Shackamaxon
Bird Egg Blaue
Black Nightfall
Blue Jay
Blue Ribbon
Borletto
Brockton Horticultural
Buckskin Girl
Candy
Duane Baptiste Potato
Dragon Tongue
Early Mohawk - bush
Early Mohawk - Pole
Falcon
Hidatsa Shield
Hopson Silver Way
Jumbo/Romane
Lina Sisco's Bird Egg
Magpie
Michigan Indian
Money
Mrs. Martin's Heirloom
October
Red Swan
Red Valentine - Bush
Red Valentine - Pole
Rouge de Paris
Scarlet Beauty
Snowcap
Tiger's Eye
Tigre
Tascarora Bread
Vermont Cranberry
Zumbro Falls

Neen5MI

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
for me it is that gardening provides me with yummy, clean, inexpensive food in exchange for useful exercise. i can't get into going to the gym or monotinous walking up and down the road - my body requires some kind of work which engages the whole of the spine, digging and gardening does that. the added parts are the tactile and visual feedback when shelling beans and sorting them and pondering what might happen next.

and then there's the scientific aspects of gardening where you can experiment and test things out and learn more and watch how the animals and insects respond and ...

well, i can go on, and on... :) pretty colors, shapes.

if you are into beachcombing for rocks beans can provide some of those same things even if you live a ways away from any beaches or suitable streams.

in the middle of winter being able to run my hands through piles of different colors and shapes of beans and having things to sort out and enjoy is just very satisfying. OCD aspects for sure.

and then also the major bonus of being able to get new beans as pretty as Tinker's Fire or some of the other's i'm seeing now. after years of planting and hoping and then *poof* all at once i have a bunch more candidates for edible and dry bean feasting. green, purple and wax beans are all among our most favorite garden vegetables - i like eating them almost any ways they're used but fresh is a whole other bump up in goodness.
I share your reasons for growing beans! However, the growing has surpassed the eating by an impractical margin:oops:. Based on the extensive growing lists that have been shared by many, I can't be the only one with this dilemma. So, can we talk about favorite ways to eat all these beautiful beans? My current go to forms include chili, ham and bean soup, baked beans, and most recently dal makhani, an Indian lentil curry into which I substituted an arbitrary mix of my own dry bean varieties.

This may or may not be an appropriate forum to share specific recipes, but if there are broad categories of bean cuisine that I'm overlooking and should explore, I'd love a nudge in their direction.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
This may or may not be an appropriate forum to share specific recipes, but if there are broad categories of bean cuisine that I'm overlooking and should explore, I'd love a nudge in their direction.
You can share anything you want here. I think we all try to keep the conversations to basically beans but you can share recipes for sure. I would love to see your different recipes for beans. Tell us about the preperation and ingredients. I shared my own concocted bean soup or maybe you'd call it a bean stew recipe about 2 years ago on this thread.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I share your reasons for growing beans! However, the growing has surpassed the eating by an impractical margin:oops:. Based on the extensive growing lists that have been shared by many, I can't be the only one with this dilemma. So, can we talk about favorite ways to eat all these beautiful beans? My current go to forms include chili, ham and bean soup, baked beans, and most recently dal makhani, an Indian lentil curry into which I substituted an arbitrary mix of my own dry bean varieties.

we make large pots of dry beans and then freeze them so they are then easy to use later on when we cook other things or if i just want some cooked beans. i can always eat those, on a hot day frozen beans are a cool snack. :)

because i dislike freezing in plastic or bags i use quart jars and reusable lids, leave headspace for expansion, Mom hates the bean juice (she calls it sludge! waahhh!) so i have to drain them before freezing which gives them plenty of space for expansion. if i were smart i'd take that juice out and use it in a garden... hmmm, should have been doing that the past 20 years... :) :) :)

bean burritos and hummus/spreads/dips/layers...

a lot of times i just add some to whatever else i'm eating as extra filler/fiber.

yesterday i put some beans in a cup, added some cheese and cream cheese spread on top and warmed it up, added hot sauce when it was done, stirred, down the hatch... will probably make a burrito later today for lunch/dinner.

to add a bit of sweet and sour effect to my burritos i like to cross hatch the top with hot sauce and then Western salad dressing (which is like a slightly spiced up version of French). i also like to use whole milk yogurt instead of sour cream on the burrito so that is on top after everything else except the dressings go on top. that's about as fancy as i get for presentation. haha!

or you could go the way of some of the Asians who put beans in ice-cream and make desserts out of them in other ways. sweet adzuki bean paste can be used in all sorts of ways, but you don't have to limit that to adzuki beans and you can try the idea with other beans. candied dried beans would probably be pretty good, could also do bbq or hot sauce or ... chocolate covered... or ...

Last edited:

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have you ever tried doing something like this with beans? My friend from the Polish gardening forum had the tops of her bean shoots break. She put them in a container with water and after a few days the roots appeared. The tops were planted in the garden three days ago.

_20240607_230230.jpg
_20240624_145548.jpg
Photos by Emilia from the Polish Oaza forum.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you ever tried doing something like this with beans? My friend from the Polish gardening forum had the tops of her bean shoots break. She put them in a container with water and after a few days the roots appeared. The tops were planted in the garden three days ago
I never knew that bean plants would develop roots if you broke off a piece and put them in water. No I have never tried this.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never knew that bean plants would develop roots if you broke off a piece and put them in water. No I have never tried this.

usually by the time i find out about it the piece that has broken off is dried up and not able to survive - once in a while i get lucky and find out before that and can prop the plant up and it may heal up and continue growing.

this is, after all, a blown over bean plant that broke, but not so badly that it couldn't survive and continue.

p9070035_Kiss_Kiss_thm.jpg