2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I lost my first bean plant today, a single plant of network bean 'Ranger'. Mould. 😞 I noticed a few wilted leaves a few days ago and last night's cool temps & rain deluge put the nail in the coffin. Still other healthy, vigorous beautiful plants are left. But mackerel this is a cold summer all in all. Nights keep bouncing down to 54F.

Hello, calling summer, summer where are you?

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's not much, just a wee handful so far, but so satisfying to collect. I had 10 to start. :) The lovely Robert Hazelwood.

IMG_8066.JPG

I've never noticed bean plants aborting tiny beans at what would seem to be the end of their green bean making cycle? Maybe the plant is maxed out? Declivus Romulus certainly can put on a load of pods.
IMG_8121.JPG

No real reason for this picture except that it's Mona Lisa, a bean I've wanted to grow since I first saw it. The two toned yellow and white flowers are pretty, a color combo I notice more and more the closer I pay attention to bean flowers..
IMG_8116.JPG

Last edited:

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
it. The two toned yellow and white flowers are pretty, a color combo I notice more and more the closer I pay attention to bean flowers..
I’ve been noticing flowers more recently too. I think this is the most common colouring in bean flowers, unless it’s just by coincidence in the varieties I’m growing this season.
I think the buds are yellowish, then they open to white, and then finally wither back to yellowish again. You have all three stages in your photo.

I love Robert Hazelwood too!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello, calling summer, summer where are you?
It's going to be warmer here starting today. This warmer weather is supposed to contiue right on into next week. Hopefully this warmer air will blow up north your way. It's been cool here lately too. July which is on the average the warmest month of the year has been cooler here than June.

Hopefully August and September will be warm and there will be a late frost this year.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's going to be warmer here starting today. This warmer weather is supposed to contiue right on into next week. Hopefully this warmer air will blow up north your way. It's been cool here lately too. July which is on the average the warmest month of the year has been cooler here than June.

Hopefully August and September will be warm and there will be a late frost this year.
Wow, so you're getting the same kind of July that we are. Yes, July has been cooler than June here too. Ugh, this is my first 'not ideal' bean season. I guess it's bound to happen, beans are not the easiest vegetable to grow. Please angelic guidance bring a long warm fall and late frost like we had in 2021....

I keep telling myself that if I managed to get all those Zugdidi Fat Cake beans to mature, which I did and it was the hardest bean I've ever grown as far as how much time it needs, only flowering at near 100 days, I might do okay this year. That might be a delusional cope on my part too but I hope not. 🙃

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if they are fully dried or not. That might be there natural size and color when fully dried. How can you tell from a photo if beans are fully dried or not?

not many beans are that plump and also that shade of pink. so i'm basing my thoughts on those two factors, but i'm also willing to be told differently by someone who has actual experience with them or similar beans.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
not many beans are that plump and also that shade of pink. so i'm basing my thoughts on those two factors, but i'm also willing to be told differently by someone who has actual experience with them or similar beans.
No comments on plumpness but I agree with you on color. I had some non-stabilized beans fresh from the pod that color but when they matured they turned a brown. Not nearly as pretty. The way I understand it those are photos someone ese took so no way to know how fresh those beans are.