2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Opened a few pods of 'Gold und Silber' today! I forget what the seeds I planted looked like, but fresh they seem like something I've never seen before. Even though the colors seem like the bean seeds are not done drying, the pods were crispy dry. I'm guessing that this is one of those seeds whose coloring appears as it ages. The photo on Belle Epoque Meisse shows beans that are a slightly darker pink than these. I wonder where the gold and the silver come from?

IMG_3084 (1).JPG
IMG_3080 (1).JPG

@heirloomgal, what you are showing is not a Gold und Silber but most likely some outcross.

This bean is actually called Or i Plata and comes from Catalonia, Spain. Gold und Silber is the literal translation from Catalan to German and is the name under which this bean is sold in the Deaflora store.

Or i Plata looks like this. Photo from the internet.

Mongeta-or-i-plata-mata-alta-scaled.jpg

And here is a link to Gold und Silber in Bohnen-Atlas. In the origin column it says Deaflora :) Only the main photo shows the correct bean.

I have original Or i Plata seeds from the Malgrat del Mar area and I can send you some if you want. This is a late bean in our locations and the pods don't always have time to ripen. I tried last year. I didn't take a photo of the seeds because there was nothing to brag about.

Last edited:

Latest posts