A Seed Saver's Garden

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can TRY an post a picture later, but it's not like it's the CLEAREST wood grain pattern I've ever seen. Since most of these are more crosses between what was supposed to be there and others, the pattern are usually weaker than they would be if it was "full". I only ever found one with a complete strong "thumbprint", and likewise, the "butterfly" I have now is the most extreme butterfly I think I have ever seen. But I'll see what I can do.

Personally, I think the purple looks even nicer on the green, but I take what I can get.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
On brown favas and purple favas? They must be quite lovely. If you feel some time like posting a picture I'm sure all us bean aficionados would love to see. 😁

I can TRY an post a picture later, but it's not like it's the CLEAREST wood grain pattern I've ever seen. Since most of these are more crosses between what was supposed to be there and others, the pattern are usually weaker than they would be if it was "full". I only ever found one with a complete strong "thumbprint", and likewise, the "butterfly" I have now is the most extreme butterfly I think I have ever seen. But I'll see what I can do.

Personally, I think the purple looks even nicer on the green, but I take what I can get.
This is the best I could do. "Butterfly" is then one on it's own at the bottom.

1697637373647.png

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to do more experiments with favas in the future. Although my climate is far from ideal - and one variety died - all was not lost. My experiment with mulch late (as plants were dying) showed that warm soil, not warm air, was the problem. I might be able to grow favas if they are mulched early.

The scarlet-flowered favas all died. But the 1/2 row of "Black Russian" that was mulched recovered & at least produced more seed than I started with... so actually a small victory. Hopefully better results next year.
20231018_145225.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm going to do more experiments with favas in the future. Although my climate is far from ideal - and one variety died - all was not lost. My experiment with mulch late (as plants were dying) showed that warm soil, not warm air, was the problem. I might be able to grow favas if they are mulched early.

The scarlet-flowered favas all died. But the 1/2 row of "Black Russian" that was mulched recovered & at least produced more seed than I started with... so actually a small victory. Hopefully better results next year.
View attachment 61530
The seeds that made it are lovely! I wonder if the Crimson Flowered favas are a variety that really lack heat resistance? I'm as new to favas as I am to soybeans, so I don't have much experience to draw on, but after my third (maybe 4th?) year this 2023 I can see some little qualities that differentiate them. I know that the Black Favas have a very long history in Russia, and I'm guessing they have summers like us - short but hottish. I have no clue about the Crimsons and where they originate from, possibly developed in a cooler European climate somewhere. You might have good luck with the fingerprint favas @Zeedman, I couldn't believe how well they handled our 90 degree days. And I didn't water them as much as I did the others in years past, plus their bed was raised up which was not a good idea. It was an oversight on my part, but it seemed to not phase them. I'm already scratching my head about which one to grow next year - the Gold Elio seems to be calling...

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
So cool! Do you think the butterfly pattern will carry on in future generations? That purple color is awesome!
It should, it's a recognized inheritable pattern (they all are). The Fava bean variety "La Seniorita" ALWAYS has it (the same way many of the bean in "Ojo de dios" will have the thumbprint.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow! I've never heard of this kind of fava! I googled it and this image came up. Well I'll be. I thought I more or less had a grip on all the different fava colors and patterns out there but - nope! I learn so much around here. 😁 😁
1697674790857.jpeg

eta: I found this neat picture too. It was titled 'Red Cheeks' and 'Fingerprints' - ha!
PA228794-1-scaled.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Alasgun thought I'd pull the machining topic into this thread since I have other posts to make tonight :)

DH said that is so impressive! By funny coincidence years ago he visited the GE plant in Toronto where they had three of those, he said each were half the size of our house. They had ducting all set up to test them out, and then were going to ship them out to, of all places, Alaska! At least, that what he thinks he remembers it was many years ago. He asked if you also made the drawings for your model?

Just as you mentioned, he told me tonight that he had planned to do just that - go to a machine shop with a drawing & material specification and have them design a new and better crankshaft. That option would not be cheap though, so I hope the break is an individual manufacturing flaw and not a design flaw! Looking at the shaft more closely though he said the diameter reductions down the shaft created a stress riser and that was where the break was, so unfortunately probably a design flaw.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Did some thrift store browsing this week and came a cross this book
BACB3AF8-38F9-4517-BBB0-D26915148F37.jpeg

I thought of your lovely composting set up @Alasgun and decided I should probably take this book home because I know basically nothing about composting and I'd like to have compost like you do. I've read about 1/4 so far, and have learned quite a bit. The fella who wrote this book took an approach that isn't too hard on beginners like me, which I am appreciating. I don't know how much I can get away with in that the bears complicate things for me, and kitchen waste is therefore almost an impossibility, but I'm hoping I can learn from the book what might be possible for me with the materials I'm able to put in a compost set up. 🤞

Latest posts