A Seed Saver's Garden

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got the Musan soybeans from Siskiyou, which lists them without the '-1' attached, as does Annapolis Seeds; I would guess though that they're probably the same variety?
They are the same, as verified by the PI number quoted on their website. That seed companies keep corrupting names of seeds I've distributed is a source of ongoing frustration. :mad: It severs the chain of custody, creates redundancy, and can result in loss of info about the variety. At least Siskiyou made a point of mentioning Musan's history (and basically spotlighting their mistake).

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would be an impressive accomplishment.
I agree that it would be an impressive product, but I imagine breeding the heat out of a pubescens pepper shouldn't be any harder than breeding it out of a habanero. Same method, select the least hot examples you can and keep crossing them until you get a pepper whose capsaicin level is too low to be detectable by the human tongue. I'd try it myself if the peppers grew well up here (they don't), and the reaction I have when I get capsaicin on my skin wasn't so painful.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Composting is fun!!
The knowledge is what to do with your piles (if anything).
My soiled stall bedding Here takes 2 years to break down and be good soil. I don't turn it, or water it.
My advice on composting is ALWAYS compost any vegetation that you cut off or don't eat bc it's tough or bitter or "past it."
ALWAYS compost grass clippings and leaves, best if cut into small pieces, like with your mower.
Don't compost meat or anything stinky that could attract mice.
In case you didn't know!~

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You can do the same with fermenting grass clippings and pour it on your beds.
Apologies sent giving you a recipe that requires purchasing anything.
You could also throw in spent flower leaves and stems.
DON'T throw in ANY weeds with seed heads bc you will cultivate them.
I keep Trying to garden without costing me $.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would be an impressive accomplishment.

someone is probably working on it.

i was just reading up on cherry peppers and wondering if they'd be a good cross with some others... i don't really desire peppers without heat but if it just happened that ways and they were tasty and productive enough i'd see no reason to not grow them unless i had no space for them and something else came along...

um, whoops, i thought i was posting to the pepper thread... :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I agree that it would be an impressive product, but I imagine breeding the heat out of a pubescens pepper shouldn't be any harder than breeding it out of a habanero. Same method, select the least hot examples you can and keep crossing them until you get a pepper whose capsaicin level is too low to be detectable by the human tongue. I'd try it myself if the peppers grew well up here (they don't), and the reaction I have when I get capsaicin on my skin wasn't so painful.
It looks like some people have been working on it @Pulsegleaner, there's a listing at Atlantic Pepper seed for a 'sweet' rocoto' and while it isn't heatless, it has a reduced amount of fire.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You can do the same with fermenting grass clippings and pour it on your beds.
Apologies sent giving you a recipe that requires purchasing anything.
You could also throw in spent flower leaves and stems.
DON'T throw in ANY weeds with seed heads bc you will cultivate them.
I keep Trying to garden without costing me $.
This year I mulched all the garden plants (after I did my best to keep them dry) in the chipper (the new one!) and spread all the veggies 'sawdust' across the beds that I think could use it the most. I wish we had a pure grass lawn, because I'd love to layer that on the beds too, but there are weeds mixed in with it and I wouldn't want those sprouting in the garden. When I put the big marigold plants through the chipper it smelled heavenly. :lol: Maybe I'll get some volunteer marigolds next year.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Assuming they can ship to the US, I might want to try it. I CAN handle a bit of chili heat, on the order of a pepperoncini level, or an Ancho/Poblano (they're actually the same pepper, Ancho is just a ripe poblano that has been smoke dried, just like chipotle is the smoked form of one of the others.) If it's down there, I might be able to use it and get some idea (that's really WHY I want a heat free Rocoto, I want to find out what unique flavors it has WITHOUT them being drowned out by capsaicin.)

Edit: maybe VERY carefully as this "mild" rocoto is STILL rated at 40,000 SHU (in comparison to a jalapeno being maybe 6,000). So unless they put that down as a blanket rating for normal rocotos by mistake, it's STILL extremely hot.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's a threat of frost tonight (probably for much further up county than here), so, for safety's sake, I brough in the mung bean pot to finish up in here, as well as harvesting whatever pods were left on any of the immovable outside plants.

Got more Horse Gram than I thought. Since this was the last roundup, and I didn't have to worry so much about not damaging the plants, I actually SAT DOWN by the pot for the first time and picked through it, and in the process discovered quite a few more pods than I thought there were.

The last common beans were basically a wash, none of them were mature enough to have viable seeds (if I had guessed that, I would have sent the pods to the kitchen instead, so mom and dad could have a few green beans.)

At the last minute, I also brought in the Hooker's Chives, since I discovered that Trade Winds, where I got the seeds, no longer has any, and, given how rare it is for them to get out of stock things back in, that probably means that, if the ones I have die and don't come back, that's it for them.

Assuming I am right and we DON'T get a frost tonight, tomorrow I will go back out and try and do two more things. The first is to clip the two stalks on unknown plant that has buds, bring them in, and put them in a vase. I LOVE to bring the whole pot in, let them keep going on on their own roots and try for seed, but not only is that pot too big to move indoors, but it is now basically tied to the railing by all of the vines from the other pots.

What I AM going to try and do is take a trowel and a smaller, more manageable pot, and try to transplant all of the understory legumes that came up but got shaded by the big ones and didn't really do anything. See if they do better with more unrestricted light indoors. I have no idea if it will work, but it's worth a shot (particularly if one of them follows through with how it looks like it is going and become a shrub or small tree rather than just an herb or vine.)

Latest posts